cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing customer due an update

mike27

Existing customer due an update

Hi All,

Sorry if this has been raised before but I know that new customers can't get a landline (pots) but what about existing customers who are due an update!  If they update, will they lose the landline? If so, will the only way to hold onto the land line is to pay the out of contract cost?  I ask for an OAP who needs the landline for communication.  I understand that in 2025 that all (pots) telephones will be turned off.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Mike

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Existing customer due an update

Can you be more specific as to what you mean by "update".

• Do you mean renewing an existing package to get a lower price for 12/18/24 months ?
  • Do you mean a speed change, e.g FTTC 40/10 to 80/20 ?
  • Do you mean a technology upgrade from ADSL to FTTC ?

Have you checked the OAP's Plusnet "Member Centre" for "Offers and Upgrades". ?

My account is showing renewals either with or without landline.

Can you also check the BT Broadband Availability Checker, using the OAP's phone number, to see whether "WBC FTTP" is "Available" - because if it is then that might make things more complicated after 5th September 2023 (depending on your definition of "update")

Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

@mike27 

Ring the Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632. They will give you the available options. This number is normally answered quite quickly.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

Hi Mike

Assuming update means take a new contract, then yes, once they re-contract they loose the POTS voice landline.  If you ring PlusNet they are likely to arrange moving them to BT + Digital Voice.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 438

once they re-contract they loose the POTS voice landline

Providing there is no change of product, then it should be possible to re-contract without losing the landline.

It is Openreach who will not accept any new orders for landline products from Sept 5. A re-contract without a products change is purely a change in the Plusnet systems, it does not involve any order to Openreach

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1

@MisterW 

Can you confirm whether a change from say fibre to fibre extra involves Openreach so will no longer be possible come next week without losing the landline?

Moderator and Customer

flanzm
Pro

I've just tried to recontract online, and it states very clearly that by doing so I will loose my landline.  It appears that a recontract will trigger an order to move from normal FTTC to SOGEA.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 438

@Baldrick1 it would involve an order on Openreach and AIUI would not be possible after the 5th

I've just tried to recontract online, and it states very clearly that by doing so I will loose my landline.  It appears that a recontract will trigger an order to move from normal FTTC to SOGEA.

@flanzm in that case Plusnet have taken a decision themselves to only offer a SOGEA product online

It's possible they MAY still offer a recontract on FTTC via COTS

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking at my Plusnet "Member Centre" - "Offers and Upgrades" it shows as pictured below.

The top "Renew contract" is clearly keeping what I already have (FTTC) with the lower payment commitment for 24 months.

The bottom "Upgrade to this" is to change from "Unlimited Fibre Extra" (FTTC) to "Fibre" (SOGEA) and lose the landline.

Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 14-11-44 Review your broadband deal Offers and Upgrades Plusnet.png

Baldrick1

So the option to keep POTS on the same service is still possible, it just costs £2 more per month.

Moderator and Customer

flanzm
Pro

I don't get the first option, but thinking about it I still have four months to run on my current contract, which must be the reason.  It does give me the option to upgrade to SOGEA though.

upgrade.png

Baldrick1

@flanzm 

Which brings us back to here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/Existing-customer-due-an-update/m-p/1936045#M32144

Moderator and Customer