cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPS Tag change required

Fixxxer
Grafter

IPS Tag change required

I'm in the process of transferring my domain and require an IPS Tag change.

18 REPLIES 18
knowdice
Rising Star

Re: IPS Tag change required

@Fixxxer 

I don't know if your domain is a .co.uk but these notes from Google may help....even if you are not going to use Google 😃

Transfer .co.uk & .uk domains 

nominet.uk/transferring-your-domain-name/ 

The "catch 22" - First, sign into your Online Services account. Then follow these simple steps: 😨

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

@knowdice that nominet link is for transferring ownership of a domain not transferring a domain to a different registrar

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

knowdice
Rising Star

Wouldn't you need  to do that before moving away from Plusnet?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

No, Plusnet don't own the domain, you do!. You just need to get Plusnet to change the IPSTAG to that of the new registrar.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Fixxxer
Grafter

@knowdice

I too found similar information, as for sign everything seems to infer that it's likely to be postmaster@username.isp.co.uk replacing isp.co.uk with provider. However this may not be the solution we're looking for, hopefully a staff member will spot our posts and intervene.

knowdice
Rising Star

@MisterW 

No, Plusnet don't own the domain, you do!. You just need to get Plusnet to change the IPSTAG to that of the new registrar.

That's good to know, thanks 😎

knowdice
Rising Star

A bit of a thread hijack...

When we move our domain away from Plusnet, can we still use the Plusnet mail server mx.avasin.plus.net temporarily?

@Fixxxer Any luck with getting your Tag changed?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

@knowdice Not a good idea - you should use your domain hosts.

John
knowdice
Rising Star

It's just planning whether to transfer the domain and do the mail service at the same time or do it one step at a time....

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

When we move our domain away from Plusnet, can we still use the Plusnet mail server mx.avasin.plus.net temporarily?

Moving the domain registration SHOULD not affect the PN email hosting. However, once you change the nameservers to the new hosting, then the PN mail servers will no longer accept email for the domain.

The best approach is to setup the email hosting account , with any mailboxes and aliases, first, then transfer the domain registration. You are then in a position to switch nameservers at any point should there be any loss of the PN email hosting.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

If it were me, I would do them together - less hassle, IMO.

EDIT - @MisterW beat me to it, with a more informed response.

John
knowdice
Rising Star

@jab1  & @MisterW 

Thank you both, Its helped me greatly to clarify the best way to go with this.

So, just waiting for new hardware to come in then its all systems go.

Fixxxer
Grafter

@knowdice 

Once my IPS Tag is sorted I'm hoping to set up a catch all and forward emails while I consider email hosting options. I was hoping to move to a residential fibre service while there's still capacity in my local cabinet.  

Tags (1)
Fixxxer
Grafter

@knowdice 

Unfortunately no progress on the IPS Tag change yet, just hoping to get the attention of helpdesk staff who can make it happen.