Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to full fibre and losing phone line

FIXED
bluegunk
Grafter

Moving to full fibre and losing phone line

Sky News 

[ https://news.sky.com/story/how-will-the-landline-phone-switch-work-and-what-do-you-need-to-do-129512.... ]  tell me I can keep my landline and phone number

Upgrade information on Plusnet packages say I cannot. I lose the number, the phone, etc.

Who's right? 

Being an older generation, we have a lot of people who don't use Internet and who communicate via our landline. I only discovered about this change when I thought about updating our package! There seems very little preparation being done to inform people.

Thanks for any info.

6 REPLIES 6
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Moving to full fibre and losing phone line

Fix

@bluegunk 

The PSTN network is being phased out by the end of 2025 so you will lose the traditional landline by then.

If you move to PN Full Fibre then you'll lose the landline sooner as a) PN don't offer a phone service with it and b) a fibre cable replaces the copper cable.

To keep your number while staying with PN you need to "port" it to a VOIP provider within 30 days of losing your landline.

Othe ISP's offer both phone and internet full fibre but note this is always a VOIP service.

Brian

Edit : Just re-read your post. You can buy yourself some time by re-newing your current contract "as is" by phoning PN. If on FTTC you'll be moved to an internet only connnction called SOGEA when the time comes. This still uses the copper cable but has no phone service. At this time, you'll need to "port" your number to VOIP if yu want to keep it.

Tags (1)
bluegunk
Grafter

Thank you, Brian!  That's clear, now.

Tags (1)
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

@bluegunk 

One assumes when the time comes PN will give reasonable notice and some explanation of what's required. However, it doesn't do any harm to research VOIP now if you want to keep your landline number.

Things to ponder.

How good is your mobile signal in the house - does your provider support WiFi calling.

Do you actually need a "VOIP" landline.

Do you have any care or house alarms connected to the phone line.

VOIP doesn't work during power cuts - FTTP is better than FTTC in this respect.

Will your current phone(s) work with a digital signal.

Depending on your phone usage A&A appear to be well thought of as a VOIP provider. There are many others. They don't do calls packages but if your mobile works well at home you don't need to make VOIP calls.

https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/voip-information/

Apart from anything else they have a reasonable FAQ section - well worth a read.

Brian

Tags (1)
bluegunk
Grafter

Thanks for the further information. We'll probably drop the phone line. Our only attachment to it is historical - i.e. it has always been part of our lives! Time to move on to the future. There's nothing else attached so we'll use mobiles.

Tags (1)
Tootired

Think carefully. I too am older generation, but went with the sales pitch. Since then I’ve had nothing but problems.

i’m not getting the wonderful connection I hoped, in fact it was all far better before I upgraded.

i guess I could just be unlucky, but I’m furious that I now have only limited use of my lifeline gadgets

Tags (1)
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

@Tootired Are you saying you moved from a broadband and phone package to broadband only and have suffered speed reductions/connection issues &c since? A little more information would be of help.

John
Tags (1)