cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NGA Profile & Static IP hostname

rosin_ddu

NGA Profile & Static IP hostname

Hi all,

I noticed on the Plusnet order ticket for my account it says "Selected product: WBC FTTC Annex A 20Mbit/s Up, 80Mbit/s Down, Stable". I understand this to be the most conservative profile according to the wonderful resource provided by kitz.

Does anyone know if it's possible to request plusnet have this changed to the "Speed" profile as defined by BT Wholesale?

I also ordered a static IP address and noticed the reverse hostname is <USERNAME>.plus.com, does anyone know if plusnet would be willing to have this changed to something based on the IP address, like 8.8.8.8.plus.com for the IP 8.8.8.8 for example?

Thanks all!

8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

Re: NGA Profile & Static IP hostname

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to Everything Else

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

@rosin_ddu 

Welcome to the Community forums.

80/20 is the name of the service to which you have subscribed and will not be changed.

If you wait for a member of staff to come along they can get the rDNS name changed for you.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 317

@rosin_ddu wrote:

Hi all,

I noticed on the Plusnet order ticket for my account it says "Selected product: WBC FTTC Annex A 20Mbit/s Up, 80Mbit/s Down, Stable". I understand this to be the most conservative profile according to the wonderful resource provided by kitz.

That's not the case.

In BT Wholesale terminology, the three stability profiles are Standard, Stable and Super Stable, in order of least conservative to most.

In Openreach terminology, the three stability profiles are Speed, Standard and Stable, in the same order.

The terminology used on the ticket you've referenced is Wholesale terminology, therefore the middle of the three options.

It can be changed, however I would urge you to see how things perform before requesting it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

rosin_ddu

I see, thank you for your response. I may have mixed up the OR and BTw notation there.

My issue is that I've noticed a significant increase in latency since joining PlusNet, and I believe this may be part of the reason.

I would prefer if this could be changed please.

Also, would it be possible to change the rDNS at the same time?

Thanks again!

Before Plusnet

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/b53eda2897b806f212b8128058266353dd0f9ef9-11-12-2022

After Plusnet

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/864b66a85f6cbb588e4ff560a5b57d2cb2273d55-18-12-2022

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Is this having any perceivable impact on your experience?

The minimum latency on those graphs is a few milliseconds difference, if that. In fact, the first graph looks considerably worse due to the pretty consistent low-level packet loss.

I can probably arrange both things for you, however I wouldn't expect the policy change to make much - if any - difference. Will have to wait until I'm in a working capacity next week though (currently posting in my spare time).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

rosin_ddu

Thank you for your response again.

I have noticed an increase in latency in games compared to the previous isp, certainly, and I'm trying to ascertain where the possible issue may lie.

I have looked at traces to a number of different servers, and have noted the latency to the first hop seems to have increased quite significantly from my previous isp, whether that is due to PlusNet configuring their routers to reply to icmp at a lower priority than previous I do not know. This is why I believe switching the profile may help somewhat.

I agree re: the packet loss usually being a big issue, except I never actually managed to reproduce it on my system in any other tests, and it never seemed to cause any issues either.

Thanks again for your help.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@rosin_ddu wrote:

I have looked at traces to a number of different servers, and have noted the latency to the first hop seems to have increased quite significantly from my previous isp, whether that is due to PlusNet configuring their routers to reply to icmp at a lower priority than previous I do not know. This is why I believe switching the profile may help somewhat.

That's almost certainly what you're seeing. As long as the subsequent hops do not show similar increases then this is not a reflection of any issues with the end-to-end latency.

You may see a slight increase in latency (single millisecond figures) due to differences in how your traffic is routed versus your previous ISP. I also expect ever so slightly increased latency where static IP's are assigned, again due to the route your traffic has to take through our network.

I've requested your rDNS is changed and have also placed a modify order to change the DLM stability option. 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

rosin_ddu

Thanks for responding, and thanks for actioning the changes.

Apologies, I should also say there is increased latency in further hops too, just that since it also increased in the first hop raised my suspicion that the DLM profile might be contributing.

I'll be sure to report back if I notice any changes, if any at all. I could be barking up totally the wrong tree.

Thanks again!