Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reverse DNS

BrokenShoeLace
Hooked

Reverse DNS

Hi,

I needs a rdns ptr record done. Please create a ticket so I can add the info to it.

--

FYI:

Goto plus.net
Login
Click More|Add-Ons
Click the link to manage your static IP link
Scroll down the page to see rdns info via the Help Assistant link
Page redirects to plus.net/wizard which tells you that you can no longer do anything and see the updated help articles.
Click A-Z
Find none that deal with this but the website one mentions DNS. Click that, expand the 2 articles and click NO to was this helpful.
Open a new page to Bing: type in plus.net rdns to be brought to the forum.
Create an account by clicking on about 20 pics for recaptcha for the page to error. See what is wrong for it to empty the complex password fields. Submit form again to say there is an issue and to click the recaptcha again (when it was already ticked). Finally get through to register but cannot ask a question because the confirm email hasnt arrived.
20 mins later, confirm email
Write a subject to be offered the FIX option which is a complete waste of time
Retutn to write a question to create a Reverse DNS PTR Record (the correct way to create a rdns) and not just an A-Record.

Next:

See what spam and DNSBL lists your static IP is on and get them removed except Plus Net keeps you listed on the PBL (see spamhaus), so never fully trusted as an email server or Cloudflare DNS.
9 REPLIES 9
James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 32

Re: Reverse DNS

@BrokenShoeLace Hiya, no bother we can update the Rdns for your static IP. What do you want it to change to? It can be a domain name if you have an A record of your static IP already setup or it can show your staticip.plus.com

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
James - Plusnet Sheffield
Plusnet Help Team
BrokenShoeLace
Hooked

Hi James,

I phoned Plus Net today and the information was added to ticket: 241839762.

Thank you!

To be hones, James, this requires a FAQ, info in the account add-ons to be updated or removed and staff to be trained. Surely, if a user can login to their account (authenicated), they should be able to type the info into two text fields (static IP could be filled in automatically and the field disabled to stop user error) for the record to be created automatically.

Last night, I was asked by a Help Desk consultant with a computer degree, what was one of my password characters as he wasn't sure. He asked someone else about rDNS on duty with him who said it's impossible to create arDNS record as its something that's impossible to do. I was transferred to another person and it disconnected. I phone support back and after giving my postcode, name he waited almost 5 mins to say the entire network had crashed and to phone back today.

I phoned today to be told, he had no clue what I am talking about and his line manager told him it was a business service. I said I will phone back later to speak with someone else. I phoned back for the person to say it's not something they done unless you have a domain with them or are going to transfer a domain in. Anyway, he created the above support number and I gave him the information I require. He told me when he is at home, he will lookup rDNS as I have taught him something new. I asked him, if it is possible to get that Help Assistant info removed and he said he doesn't know who to pass that info on to but he will find out.

--

If you go to Virus Total, type in my new allocated static IP you will see that 2 years ago, it was getting 39 connection attempts per day to win32.exe; WannaCry Ransomware:

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/3a467294f7323cc5efdde9319abfbfc77d4820529e59447c856d0ff2576794bf

Even your community email IP: 149.72.175.76 (o3.ptr2884.eu.khoros-mail.com) goes into people's spam folders.

Tags (3)
csmith94
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 31

A request has already been raised to change the rDNS for you. These types of requests can take 5 - 7 working days to complete. 

I'm really sorry you've had so much trouble getting this raised, I can only apologise for what you've experienced and send across the relevant feedback about who you spoke to so these knowledge gaps can be filled. 

Curtis Smith
 Plusnet Help Team
BrokenShoeLace
Hooked

Hi,

Any chance you can change the record to lowercase like it should be, please?

Tags (1)
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 111

@BrokenShoeLace there was another ticket on here as well 

https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=241839762

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
BrokenShoeLace
Hooked

And that ticket was closed with unable to help. I pasted it into this forum post a few messages back, posted the message but it was stripped out. Also, I wanted to use the auto-styling to make it into a quote but when I clicked quote, it deleted my complete reply and put in the message from the previous person. Come-on!!

-- -- -- -- --

Plus Net website (login/account creation/change password/password complexity (16 chars should be increased to 24), content (see my original post about that), staff (not two are singing from the same songsheet), abilities (some know how to do it, 90% dont), training (some saying unsupported, some say it is, some have no clue, others don't know how to raise it), these forums (last resort/account creation issues), router firmware (over a year since last updated) and config (cannot make a CIDR /24 on a 10.*.*.* range lets through port scans/botnets/wireless only on 4 frequencies which could be saturated in the area, no MAC blocking to stop others getting onto the system, no MAC reserving etc.).

---------------------------------------------------

Please make my record lowercase. Not sure why anyone would capilitlise the first letter of the record.

A Reverse DNS is a 10-second creation with up-to 48 hours DNS propagation.

Mav
Fixes: 517

@BrokenShoeLace wrote:

Also, I wanted to use the auto-styling to make it into a quote but when I clicked quote, it deleted my complete reply and put in the message from the previous person.

What you described is how this forum software works. There are a couple of workarounds;

1. Click the quote icon then highlight the unwanted text, delete then paste/type in the required text

2. Click the Expand Toolbar (...) option then click HTML. Any text you wish to be quoted should be inserted between <blockquote> and </blockquote>

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

BrokenShoeLace
Hooked

Please make my RDNS record lowercase

Tags (2)
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 493

Hi @BrokenShoeLace 

That's been raised to the relevant team and should be sorted within 5 working days

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team