Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP enable request

FIXED
spot
Hooked

Static IP enable request

As is being discussed o another thread - https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/Static-IP/m-p/1932096 - it looks like a request on the forum is required in order to get a static IP set up on an account. Please bill me £5 and let me have one too.

12 REPLIES 12
Mav
Fixes: 517

Re: Static IP enable request

Fix

If you have already attempted to add it through the portal have you tried logging out then back in again to see if it's been added?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

@Mav As advised in the linked topic, the static IP cannot be added via the portal - the option is broken.

John
spot
Hooked

Well well - thank you.

For the record then, the self-help button at https://www.plus.net/AddOns.html  followed by rebooting the modem and logging back into my plusnet account has indeed given me the IP address shown on the self-help page: "Current Status: You are now using a static IP address", and that's the same IPv4 address I can see on the Router status as well.

I'll monitor the IPv4 and IPv6 addresses and report beck to this thread if anything unexpected happens but I appear to be happy so far. Given the thread I referenced I hadn't expected that at all.

Mav
Fixes: 517

@jab1 

TBH I hadn't noticed the further replies from message #9.

@spot I hope, indeed, that it has been activated.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Anonymous
Not applicable

@spot wrote:

I'll monitor the IPv4 and IPv6 addresses and report beck to this thread if anything unexpected happens

@spot 

Have you really got IPv6 ? - that would be unexpected !

What does this test say ?  -  https://test-ipv6.com/ 

jab1
Legend

He won't have - PN don't support it.

John
jab1
Legend

@Mav wrote:

@spot I hope, indeed, that it has been activated.

I hope the OP has paid for it.

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jab1 wrote:

He won't have - PN don't support it.

That's why it would be unexpected ! - but not impossible.

I'm currently connected to this Plusnet FORUM using tunnelled IPv6 via my Plusnet connection, 

and it is known that the newly installed Plusnet DNS servers are IPv6 capable and assigning addresses to them is on the 'TO DO' list,  so who knows what else 'might' be on the verge of supporting IPv6 ?

spot
Hooked

@mac @jab1 @Anonymous - this is a summary of where I've reached.

I realize this thread was premature and posted after inadequate investigation, I do apologize. The other Static IP thread may have led me to a mistaken assumption but it triggered my forum request.

I couldn't actually see the Add-ons page because my account was, this morning, in an odd state of not having finished some sales function. That cleared up around lunch-time at which point I tried it and it says I now have Static IP. It says by £5 will be charged. My billing page says I have a payment pending.

I only got notification this morning that my broadband was connected and I've been out changing someone's kitchen tap most of the afternoon. I'm an inept handyman at the best of times and I loathe plumbing in every conceivable way, the entire notion of piped water appals me. A proper plumber ought to have changed the tap, I should have put my foot down. But I digress.

So, IPv6. I plugged the Plusnet Hub 2 in at 8:22 and things happened. I found it at 192.168.1.254 just like the plastic insert said. There was an admin rectangle labelled IPv6 which discussed pinholes, something I took to mean that I could add an AAAA record to a domain and get traffic into one of my machines. I've not followed that up yet but it sounded quite IPv6-ish. I note that local LAN addressing with IPv6 is definitely supported by the hub but that the traffic isn't going to get far beyond the building with the current hub settings. I would guess from the menus that the hub needs future firmware before it can enable a user to do without IPv4.

My lad will, however, put the A record of his domain to point here and port-forward web and ssh to his Raspberry Pi, which is what I was checking for. Up until last night he had a static IP and he'd not want his schoolmates to notice an extended down-time. Well worth £5. He played with dynamic DNS a while ago but found the deadlines a bit of a white-knuckle ride.

Thank you for your help earlier, it got me to look at the bits I'd thought I couldn't see.

jab1
Legend

@spot That sounds slightly 'not quite right' - unless of course you have a 6-in-4 tunnel, as I know @Anonymous has. As I said previously, Plusnet have not implemented IPV6 natively, so unless you have the 'tunnel', you will not get external IPV6 addresses.

I'll leave further comment to @Anonymous though, as I am no networking expert.

John
spot
Hooked

I wish I could work out how to quote snippets from previous posts. This is not forum software I'm familiar with.

@Anonymous asked what a test page for ipv6 said. The key lines, after giving 0/10 points, were

No IPv6 address detected [more info]

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have IPv6 Internet access.

I might explore 6in4 tunnelling as an alternative to sitting on a beach in a couple of weeks. I recall seeing that ipv6 advocacy site well over a decade ago and I'm sure Telewest got better marks than 0/10 at the time. But I have a notoriously inventive memory.

jab1
Legend

OK. The important bit in that snippet is 'No IPV6 detected' - it won't be, because, as I said, Plusnet have not implemented it. Doing so is a little more complicated (and expensive) than just flicking a switch, and as PN are the BT 'budget' brand I suspect they will hold off doing so for as long as possible.

As I said above, I will leave further discussion to others.

John