Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access Plusnet website

FIXED
Mav
Fixes: 517

Re: Unable to access Plusnet website

Moderator's note(s):

I have locked the two thread linked above with a link to here so we can keep all help in one place.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

siegerson
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Updated chrome today (android) and now can't access plus.net also.

Same error as above: ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH
jgj18
Hooked

I reported this problem yesterday in one of the two now-locked threads above. It has affected Chrome on both my W10 laptop (for the past couple of weeks) and my Samsung mobile (since yesterday). MS Edge on the laptop and the Samsung browser on the mobile work fine.

It might be helpful to remove the 'fixed' tag from this thread, since using a different browser isn't really fixing the underlying Chrome/Plus.Net incompatibility, whatever it might be. The problem is not at all serious for me, but it's annoying that an issue that has been reported multiple times on this forum hasn't been properly investigated.

Kind regards, John

Mav
Fixes: 517

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): As this appears to be ongoing I have removed the 'Fix'.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 111

I will keep an eye on this and let you know if I hear anything.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
ont
Dabbler

I can't access plus.net on Android Chrome 116.0.5845.163, haven't been able to for a few days which is very frustrating. No other problems with any other site.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have seen this error MANY TIMES when navigating to https://www.plus.net with Firefox (v113), over the past few months -

Screenshot 2022-09-06 at 10-29-31 Sorry - we're having a few technical issues Plusnet.png

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 317

I mentioned it in one of the other threads, however it would be useful to know what user agent is in use for those affected. It's the white text on black here that I'm curious about.

@Anonymous - I suspect you're looking at a different issue given that you can get the page to at least render something.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

kissinuk
Grafter

From my tablet that doesn't work:

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 10; K) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/116.0.0.0 Safari/537.36

From my phone that does work:

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 10; K) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/116.0.0.0 Mobile Safari/537.36

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree that I'm probably seeing a different issue, but I've repeatedly highlighted it for at least a year with multiple observations of other related or subsequent error screens, different browsers used etc, but nobody at Plusnet does anything to fix it.

All I ever get is that "it must be something I'm doing",  or "nobody else is seeing that - so it must just be me" when clearly other customers ARE seeing the same,  or as soon as I eventually do manage to get through to the Plusnet landing page, then I get "Oh well the problem must be fixed, nothing to see here, lets move on and ignore that it ever happened".

I just think it's a bit fundamental when your main landing page appears broken in many different ways - and nobody seems bothered about fixing it.  How many potential customers looking to join Plusnet, visit the main website, discover it's broken, and never come back ?

Then there all the issues in the "Member Centre", the most reported being in "Offers and Upgrades" showing an error, and preventing the customer from renewing their contract, or complete the upgrade they were looking for - and as a consequence start looking for offers with other ISPs.  Again it's been broken for way too long.

It's a similar apparent attitude with broken forum features, multiple customers report the same problem, Khorus 'claim' that they can't replicate the issue,  so never mind it can't be real, therefore NOTHING gets done.

I could go on about other things, like the CURRENT LINE SPEED updater has been broken for a decade etc..,

but I really don't care any more, as I moved to A&A yesterday after 24 years at F9/Plusnet hoping things would improve.

jgj18
Hooked

The user agent string in Chrome on my phone that doesn't work is exactly the same as kissinuk's second string in post 24 above, for his/her phone that does work. So I guess that's not the problem?

Regards, John

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Then there all the issues in the "Member Centre", the most reported being in "Offers and Upgrades" showing an error, and preventing the customer from renewing their contract, or complete the upgrade they were looking for - and as a consequence start looking for offers with other ISPs..

Within 20 minutes of posting that, there is ANOTHER example reported here !

@corringham wrote:

...  I have just checked what Plusnet offer for my (ADSL only) address - just an error page. So it looks as if they are indeed followoing EE's lead, but without a working website to tell you so.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

All I ever get is that "it must be something I'm doing",  or "nobody else is seeing that - so it must just be me" when clearly other customers ARE seeing the same,  or as soon as I eventually do manage to get through to the Plusnet landing page, then I get "Oh well the problem must be fixed, nothing to see here, lets move on and ignore that it ever happened".

I have just had this post from SEVEN YEARS AGO pointed out to me -

Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 12-56-15 Re I'm not here.png

SOME  THINGS  NEVER  CHANGE  AT  PLUSNET ! ! !  🙄

RevvyRevRev

Hi fellow Chrome users.

I've found a solution:

type chrome://flags into the address bar.  Then type TLS in the search field.

You should see an option that comes up "Allow SHA-1 server signatures in TLS."  Enable this.  Click on Relaunch and you should find that the Plusnet website is now accessible.

I hope it works for you.  It did for me.

Good luck!

Tags (1)
ont
Dabbler

You are absolutely correct, can access correctly now.
Web Devs at plusnet take note
SHA-1 has known collisions and is no longer considered a secure hash function. Removing support ensures these weaknesses cannot be used by an attacker to impersonate a TLS server. Use of SHA-1 signatures in TLS has been deprecated by the IETF in RFC 9155.