Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access one website

markcaldwell83
Dabbler

Unable to access one website

Hi, 

I have previously been able to access https://www.pkbstatus.com/  without any issues until today

Screenshot 2024-10-03 at 10.46.48.png

The issue seems to be with my wifi connection as when I connect via my mobile network it works fine and other members of my team at work can access it without any problem.

I have also tried different browsers, clearing the cache but nothing seems to be working, do you have any suggestions?

Kind regards, Mark
41 REPLIES 41
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 111

Re: Unable to access one website

What DNS server are you using? @markcaldwell83 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
markcaldwell83
Dabbler

Is that the IP address listed under my plusnet wifi connection?

pvmb
Pro
Fixes: 3

Um...

Yet another medical site that somebody cannot access. There seems to be a recurring theme here.

I seem able to access it without a problem. 

Plusnet DNS Issues - Plusnet Community

Mav
Fixes: 517

@markcaldwell83 

Assuming you are using the Hub2 the DNS settings can be found here (after logging into the router).

I have the DNS to Google's but within Windows.

HTH

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Tags (1)
markcaldwell83
Dabbler

Good morning, thank you very much for the replies.

I'm on hub1 but found the DNS settings although no idea what they mean or how to check if they are correct or if they've changed.

Primary DNS: 212.159.13.49
Secondary DNS: 212.159.6.9
Mav

@markcaldwell83 

Those are the settings I have in my Hub2 but, as I said, I have changed them to Google's within Windows.

How you change them I think depends on which Windows version you have.

On W10 Click on Control Panel then Network and Sharing Centre. In the resulting page click 'Change adaptor settings'. Select your network connection from the list then click on 'Change settings of this connection'.

A new window opens and within the Network tab scroll to and double-click on 'Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)' At the bottom of the next window select 'Use the following DNS server addresses:' then enter 8.8.8.8 as the first then 8.8.4.4 as the second.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

markcaldwell83
Dabbler

Hi Mav,

Thanks again for your reply.

I'm on a mac but just had a few questions before changing anything if that's okay;

1. If I change to the google DNS server addresses is there any risk I won't be able to connect at all?

2. Do you know why all of a sudden those DNS settings I currently have would all of a sudden stop one website from working?

Mav

To answer your first question I always change the DNS servers to Google's when ever I have a (re-)installation of Windows and have never had any issues accessing sites other than those outside of DNS problems.

I can't answer the second one, sorry.

Starlink666
Dabbler

Your problem seems very similar to my own Plusnet DNS Issues - Plusnet Community

Your site works for me using 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare) but not 212.159.13.49 (Plusnet). I've not checked any other DNS servers though. Mine doesn't resolve on any of the Plusnet or BT DNS servers, or EE mobile.

You can change your local DNS to something like 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare) but this isn't going to help anyone else using BT / Plusnet or EE to connect to your site.

Personally, I'd recommend not changing it otherwise you won't know when the issue is fixed, unless of course you need to work on the site. It should work via a VPN as well.

pvmb
Pro
Fixes: 3

I can also access the site and am also using the Cloudflare DNS servers in Windows.

markcaldwell83
Dabbler

Morning all,

Still no luck, thanks for all the feedback.

@Starlink666 in the end did you make changes or did plusnet, I read through your thread but got a little lost in parts so wasn't sure if in the end it just mysteriously started working?

Wondering if I need to escalate to plusnet, I'd prefer to not go changing settings at my end as it was working just over a week ago so why not now?

And it's an important site I need for monitoring in my job so wondering how to escalate with plusnet.

Any advice and guidance again is greatly appreciated

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

@markcaldwell83 

It is possible to configure a browser NOT to use your local DNS.

For google, settings, search for DNS, then Security, I changed to OpenDNS

Screenshot 2024-10-10 075348.png

For Firefox

Search for DNS I used

Screenshot 2024-10-10 075430.png

I now can see the patients knows best stats page, this should help for the short term. 

HTH 

Tags (2)
markcaldwell83
Dabbler

Hi Dan,

Just tried that in Firefox and that works which is great!... didn't know you could do that.

So the DNS settings can just be changed at browser level, as long as it works I don't mind.

I just was wary of changing settings that would affect my girlfriend as we both work from home and I don't want to cause any issues for her

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

Yes, the change is to the browser only, if you used Edge/Chrome then the issue would still exist.

The plusnet DNS issue still needs resolving maybe @willcutforth can help?

Dan.