Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Best Email Client for Plusnet Webmail

LizMac42
Grafter
Fixes: 1

What is Best Email Client for Plusnet Webmail

Can't believe how hard it is to find out to make new post on this forum so don't know if I have actually done it?Huh

I used to use Thunderbird as a client for Plusnet emails - it was great, quick and worked well.

After my computer died a death I tried to reinstall it on my new computer.  The back-up I had made on a flash drive wouldn't work and neither would all the settings Plusnet engineers tried to help me with - nothing worked.

I resorted to Outlook and this works really well for my gmails but new Plusnet emails take ages to come through which is a pain when waiting for a timed bank code.  Plusnet webmail is no better - I wait ages for Inbox to load!

I would be so grateful to hear if anyone has found an Email Client which works well for them.

11 REPLIES 11
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: What is Best Email Client for Plusnet Webmail

@LizMac42 

Dare I say it?  Thunderbird!

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

I would agree, @RobPN  - but I  understand the later iterations have the 'helpful' habit of prefilling a load of settings that are wrong for the PN email setup.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

+1 for that. Thunderbird works fine with PN mail. You do need to select the Manual setup though, as Thunderbirds attempt to 'guess' the settings from username will NOT work. For info the settings are here https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-set-up-plusnet-email/ .

For username and password:-

If you are configuring the primary mailbox then username is the accountname and password the one you use to access the member centre.

If its a secondary mailbox then username is accountname+mailboxname and password the one you set for that mailbox

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

I believe that's the case with most of the clients I've ever tried (not that many) @jab1; a common culprit is the assumed 'Account name', but there will no doubt be others.

ISTR that when I first started using TB a few years ago that I had to set up the accounts manually for them to work.

Edit:  @MisterW types faster than me.

jab1
Legend

I won't argue, @RobPN , but when I started using TB - 25+ years back, there was only the manual method, and even when I switched from Tiscali/TT and had to set up PN from scratch, I don't remember the program 'helping' me - mind you that is now 13 years or so back, and my memory ain't what it used to be. 😀

John
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

ISTR even that old favourite Outhouse Express (MS) which I used prior to TB was best set up manually as it also assumed settings wrongly.

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@LizMac42 

You don't say, but I'm assuming that you use Windows?

I prefer Linux myself, but also use Thunderbird. In Linux there is a "hidden" folder that holds all of my Thunderbird data and settings, that I copy when doing my regular backups. Currently this folder is about 2GB on this PC.

I like to tinker with computers, so if I want to do a fresh install of Linux I just have to run Thunderbird, but then close it without setting it up. I then delete the contents of the ".thunderbird" folder that has been created and copy the contents of my backup version across. Re-run Thunderbird and it opens with all of my email accounts, which then take a minute or so to synchronise and bring right up-to-date.

Question for all: is there an equivalent folder in Windows, (or Mac if applicable), that contains all of the Thunderbird settings and data in one place, which can be easily copied as a backup? I'm guessing that would be in the "Users" folder?

LizMac42
Grafter

Dare I ask what settings you put in when you subscribed to Thunderbird.  They give you recommended settings but they didn't work and the Plusnet technicians (tried 3) all gave others but none of them worked.  It seems to be the Incoming port and outcoming port numbers -

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

Question for all: is there an equivalent folder in Windows, (or Mac if applicable), that contains all of the Thunderbird settings and data in one place, which can be easily copied as a backup?

Yes, there is and the following steps in Thunderbird will open it in Windows Explorer

• Click the menu button Fx57Menu, then click Help and select Troubleshooting Information.
  • Locate the "Profile Folder" entry, then click Open Folder.
    Your Thunderbird profile folder will open in Windows Explorer.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@LizMac42 It is a while since I had to look at my settings, but can you post what you have - maybe someone can see what is wrong?

John
LizMac42
Grafter

It was over a year ago I was trying but I will have another go and see if any success - thank you all - you have confirmed my theory that Thunderbird works better than any other and I like its no nonsense layout too.  Outlook is too colourful and fussy!