cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whose responsibility is it to inform me that the telephone pole to my property is being changed?

FIXED
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Whose responsibility is it to inform me that the telephone pole to my property is being changed?

Having an alternative mean of internet access is something many people who work from home forget about, or don't bother with..

Taking it a stage further and business resumption planning seems to have been forgotten by many companies these days. 

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 17

Re: Whose responsibility is it to inform me that the telephone pole to my property is being changed?

On the topic of resilience of communications systems, this is something that not just individuals and businesses no longer consider,  the Government & regulators have abandoned the concept - and the telecoms companies have taken advantage of that to reduce costs (and maximise profits)

The POTS system was highly resilient - powered by the exchange even during power cuts.

Now, FTTP is considered more reliable - which it almost certainly is - but it is less resilient. In a power cut every user needs a UPS for the ONT, router, and ATA (and probably DECT phone). Also, when there is a cable break it can affect whole towns at a time as a single fibre is capable of carrying all the traffic.

VoIP is even worse via FTTC as the cabinets don't have any significant UPS duration.

greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Stick a backhoe through a cable bundle. Drag an achor over a subsea cable.