cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband goes down intermittently

milesp
Hooked

Broadband goes down intermittently

I have just recently upgraded to Unlimited Fibre which seems to be installed but it goes down randomly every couple of hours or so for a few minutes and then comes up again. The hub power light starts flashing orange then the broadband light flashes and then eventually the power light goes blue and connection is restored.

9 REPLIES 9
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Re: Broadband goes down intermittently

@milesp I wonder if the Broadband User Name is correct? Does line 12 of the Help Desk read 'setup@plusdsl.net'?

John
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Good morning @milesp

Thanks a lot for reaching out and I'm really sorry to hear that you're having problems with your broadband service. The account change from ADSL to fibre, has gone a little pear shaped internally, oo I've taken it into personal ownership to get things sorted properly. In regards to the technical issues that you're having, tests on the line aren't really picking anything up, but we can see quite a few drops. I'll pop some images below so you can see.

Going forward, please have a read through our Troubleshooting Guide to see if you're able to resolve the issue sooner. When testing, please remove the faceplate from your Master Socket, and connect your router directly into the test socket which lies behind it. Avoid using any extension cables / sockets too if possible.
Troubleshooting Guide - https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/

Let us know if that's help[ed or not, and we'll get the matter raised with our suppliers if needs be.

KBD
GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 65.4 Mbps
Upstream Speed 11.2 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 453.7
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Good
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed on Week Days
Service Impact Retrains Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From02:15to02:30
Interference Location Unknown
Interference Observed In Days 0
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2021-11-25T00:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 58.9 Mbps 69.6 Mbps 61.2 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 4.4 Mbps 11.4 Mbps 7.4 Mbps
Up Time 828.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.3 Sec
Retrains 0.0 3.0 0.0
Radius
 Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
milesp
Hooked

I do not have a master socket with a test socket behind it. The master socket is the original BT socket where the landline comes into the house. If I connect the router to the master socket I will lose my landline phone.

jab1
Legend

@milesp If you use the test socket, you connect via an 'ADSL adapter' which has phone and BB connections - you cannot connect the modem/router direct to that socket.

How old is your phone socket? Can you post a picture?

John
milesp
Hooked

As I have said, I do NOT have a test socket behind the master socket. The router is currently connected directly to an adapter filter and which goes into the one socket in the master.

jab1
Legend

In that case, your telephone cabling an connections must be extremely ancient - my original socket (now replaced) was installed 40+ years ago and had/has a test connection.

John
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for getting back to us @milesp

The next course of action then would be to raise this matter with Openreach and have an engineer investigate the issue. I've just created an open ticket on your account which we'd need you to respond to stating your availability for an engineer visit. Give me a nudge on here once you've responded and I'll get it raised. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
milesp
Hooked

A prompt visit from an Openreach technician has sorted out my problem, it was indeed my ancient wiring and socket locations that was causing the dropouts.

A related and unresolved problem exists with one of my laptops. The broadband speed on WiFi is poor, around half of what it should be, and seems to be down to the Realtek WiFi adapter. Fortunately my router is right next to it and a hard wired Ethernet connection gives me the full speed. My other laptop which has an Intel WiFi (chip?) adapter runs at full speed. Still investigating.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,606

Thanks for getting back to us @milesp

I'm glad to see the engineer's got to the bottom of your broadband and you may have identified an issue with your laptop.

Let us know if you need any further help from us.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet