cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed impacted by neighbours?

jimbob81
Grafter

Broadband speed impacted by neighbours?

Hi all, I wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience...

I track my sync speed stats from my router and I've noticed over the last 6 months that there were times when my SNR would suddenly increase by at least 3dB followed a few hours later by a re-sync and faster sync speed. Then after a few days or a couple of weeks it would drop back down again and my sync speed would also drop back down to what it was.

At first I thought it was random, but then I realised it coincided with my neighbours, two doors down, going away on holiday. They must turn off their router when they are away.

My sync speed lately has been about 65Mb which is as high as it gets. But a couple of days ago, when my neighbours went away, it went up to 79Mb.

Now as I'd love to have 79Mb all the time, I'm wondering, is this normal behaviour? Should my neighbours broadband impact my sync speed, or does it indicate a fault somewhere?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
fwdlink
Dabbler

Re: Broadband speed impacted by neighbours?

This is unfortunately more and more common in the VDSL world, it's known as cross-talk.  I have this exact phenomenon with my neighbor, ironically also 2 doors down.  When she turns her modem off/on I get a spike on SNR.  Before Openreach enabled higher G.INP retransmission on our cabinet I would just wait until she would turn her modem off and I would restart my modem about 48hrs later whilst she was away and I would attain my usual 79999 sync spead.  If I had an issue whilst her modem was on I would usually sync much lower, sometimes about 10Mbps lower.

Lucky for me she regularly turns her modem off so I usually don't have to wait too long to recover my sync speeds.

Not aware of anything you can do other than make sure you resync when they are away if you want the best sync speeds.

If your cabinet gets the latest parameters to allow for higher retransmission 50+ for G.INP then your sync might go back to 79999 all the time like mine has, however it has a downside, my throughput is stuck at 67Mbps and has been that way for 3 months now, which myself and others are complaining to PN about.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Broadband speed impacted by neighbours?

Hi @jimbob81

Thanks for highlighting this - I'm sorry to hear about your erratic speeds.

I've taken a look at the BT Wholesale line capacity for your area and they do unfortunately list it between 41-62mb/s (here) so it does seem that they expect the line to perform within that bracket - irrespective of whether it sometimes achieves speeds in excess of this (I guess because publishing a speed that is dependent on a resident not using the service isn't realistic or fair). Unfortunately, we're limited to what we can do to influence this and whilst you're achieving speeds within that range, any fault we raise to BTW will likely come back with no fault found.

I'm really sorry I couldn't provide a more optimistic response - please let us know if your speeds drop consistently below that range and we'll be happy to investigate.

Best wishes

Dave