cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CHAP authentication failed (ASUS router)

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: CHAP authentication failed (ASUS router)

Have you reset the Opnreach modem?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Good suggestion @Oldjim - the line is testing as in sync but it's worth double checking.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
kazade
Dabbler

All the lights are solid green, I've just rebooted *everything* and now something different is happening (screenshot attached) but now it's not even trying by the look of it 😕

kazade
Dabbler

OK after another reset we're back to the chap authentication issue again. Can someone disable the auto router setup for me on my account? I'm unable to do it because it errors.

I'm going to buy another router Sad

Riza
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

A workaround until this is solved is to simply use your old router and plug in a ethernet cable from that to your new router's WAN port and set it up as DHCP instead of PPPOE and that will fix it as it would be using the old router to connect to the web.

Also is your router's firmware on the latest version? Maybe there is a technical software glitch on the software. I used to use AsusWrt Merlin on my Linksys router and it was pretty stable.

If your old router still works, I'd suggest you to find the Asus forums and ask for support from their community (linking back to this thread for all things tried). It could be possible the hardware is faulty, which could result into a hefty charge from the engineer which is why I'd suggest you to try a previously known working router.

http://www.asus.com/us/support/Download/11/2/0/131/Pchfx2inNSCZYOBC/30/

Theres your downloads page for that router, try to flash the latest firmware and see if results differ. A reset should be done after it's flashed to clear your nvram. If it fails to flash the zip, then unzip it and flash the trx image.

8oRzvej

To flash it go to administration and then to firmware upgrade and upload the firmware and press upload. Give it 5 or so minutes to flash over and then I'd reset the router and try the PPPOE again if it fails you can try the workaround that I personally use to extend my WiFi coverage by setting the secondary router to connect to a primary router through DHCP on WAN.

kazade
Dabbler

You're actually not going to believe this! I just bought another router, this time with an integrated VDSL modem. I've replaced the entire OpenReach box, and the old router. I've configured it and guess what?

ppp0: authentication failed

ARGH!  Does anyone have any suggestions?

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

suggest smashing your computer up in a mass rage KnuppelLaugh

Have you raised a ticket ? Sounds like it could be a fault on plusnet side.

kazade
Dabbler

Just spoke to someone on the phone and filed a fault online while I was on hold. Apparently there's something wrong and it's been assigned to an engineer, but I'll have to wait until Monday or Tuesday Sad

kazade
Dabbler

It's now Tuesday evening, and I haven't heard anything! The ticket says I should've heard something buy now. This is infuriating!!! Sad

kazade
Dabbler

I thought I'd update this thread because to be completely frank, I'm running out of patience.

I've now been without internet for 3 weeks. A BT engineer visited (on the wrong day) and didn't know what PPPoE was, just kept saying that "It can't possibly work with a third party router" then ran a line test (which passed, obviously), and despite my repeated layman's explanations as to how a third party router WOULD work with PlusNet, he didn't believe me.

So, after he left, I chatted with a PlusNet customer service guy who completely understood what I was saying, and he put on my account that I needed another visit from an engineer. Then absolutely nothing happened for a week until the original BT engineer report came back, the response to which was "You must buy a plusnet router". The BT report specifically says that no TAM test was performed. For an authentication issue. ARGH!

So, now my only option is looking like I need to purchase a PlusNet router, so that I can watch that fail to authenticate too, so that maybe I'll get an engineer sent out that knows what he's doing.

Alternatively I can just move to another ISP and that will fix it!

run187
Dabbler

what vdsl router are you using .if the other router is a broadband one and not a cable one they normally won't Connect ime ..