Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I change my IP address?

Tobias1
Dabbler

Can I change my IP address?

Hi there,

Can I (or PlusNet) change my IP address?

The reason I ask is because my phone number was banned from Telegram, and this happened shortly after I was logged into Telegram on my computer, and I had been using a VPN.

When I bought another SIM and installed it in another mobile phone, I set up my 2nd Telegram account, I connected to my WiFi, and then found that Telegram had banned my second number straightaway.

I am assuming that once they noticed my IP change, due to the VPN, they must have put my IP on some type of black list. I have tried to contact Telegram, all to no avail.

Thanks for reading

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

Re: Can I change my IP address?

@Tobias1 

If you are using a VPN then your Plusnet IP address is irrelevant, the end connection will not see it. That’s the purpose of a VPN. It will also result in the end connection to be a different IP address every time that you connect. Are you setting the VPN destination as UK? If not you will end up with your IP address and phone numbers being based in different countries.

If you disconnect your hub for several hours it might pick up a different IP address, although they can be quite sticky these days. However I suspect that the source of your problems lies elsewhere.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Tobias1
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 

I am guessing that once it had recognised my real IP, and then I switched to a VPN periodically (not all the time), it decided that my account looked too eratic... despite the fact that I kept confirming my ID using my mobile.

I do not know this for sure, I have to resort to guessing because my two accounts were banned without explanation.

With my first account I was active on a Telegram group for a while, some of the views expressed on it by other peope were political, but my language was extremely mild and I conflicted with no one.

If I was banned for chatting on a particular group, then why have all the users be able to keep using it without losing their Telegram accounts. Apparently it is still active.

Baldrick1

@Tobias1 

Did you use the same email addess for both accounts? If so you could try starting again with a different one.

Moderator and Customer

Tobias1
Dabbler

Hi @Baldrick1 thanks for replying again.

I actually can't remember entering the email address in the process now, but if I had to get a second SIM just to get a new Telegram account, I don't believe I would have entered the same email address, if this is indeed part of the process.

I have more than one email address.

Baldrick1

@Tobias1 

So what do you use to log into the account on your computer?

Moderator and Customer

Tobias1
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 .. I found my acount details. Yes, I used a different email address for each account.