cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continuing speed mismatch between estimate and reality, worth pursuing?

FIXED
SmileyH
Dabbler

Continuing speed mismatch between estimate and reality, worth pursuing?

Hi all,

Having been through the usual box ticking of eliminating cable/router/socket/filter etc possibilities.

Raised a ticket: "DLM profile banded to 30Mbps, DLM profile reset requested" was done on Thursday, marked as Speed Fault Resolved this Monday. 

Plusnet package:

• Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 34.6Mbps
  • Current Line Speed (Download): 31.2Mbps

Speedtest result: 26.24 Mbps, pretty consistently around the 26-28 mark before and after the fault 

https://imgur.com/a/pdN5VRM package/speed test result/broadband checker, tests done wired into the router.

It's an improvement from the dip below 20Mbps I experienced but a way off the estimates, worth pursuing or is 26-28 what my line can actually supply in reality?

Thanks

21 REPLIES 21
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Re: Continuing speed mismatch between estimate and reality, worth pursuing?

Hello @SmileyH

Thanks a lot for reaching out and I;m sorry to hear that you've been having problems with your line speed lately. It appears there's a few things at play here. The first being that your connection is routed through L2TP, given the static IP, meaning your speeds are influenced by the connection profile on our end, which was previously banding the line at around 32Mbps, I've just reset this to the highest available, so this might and could help.

Please can you run a wired speed test and let us know how you get on?

If your speeds are still below the minimum, let me know because the sync speed isn't reaching the banded profile speed at the moment, indicating a physical issue on the line. If that's the case, we'll get it raised with Openreach for further investigation. Smiley

Capture.PNG

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
SmileyH
Dabbler

Hi @adam945 

Thank you for looking into this, no change at this end i'm afraid.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No problem at all.

If the profile was banded at 35Mbps, and you were getting 35Mbps, I'd raise a DLM reset, however with the line syncing below that, it indicates a possible fault on the line. Have you tried plugging your router directly into the test socket at all?

-Adam - Leeds

Adam
SmileyH
Dabbler

I've got stripped it all back to basics, the hub one is plugged directly into the test socket (has been for a while now). Just taken the phone splitter out of the equation as well, which has edged the result up to 28-29Mbps.

SmileyH
Dabbler

ADSL filter that is*
What's the time window for editing posts on this forum?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 283

20 minutes, @SmileyH .

John
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

thanks a lot for getting back to us and for confirming that @SmileyH

I reckon the next course of action here is to raise the matter with Openreach and have an engineer visit appointed.

I've created an open fault ticket on the account which we'd like you to respond to, stating your availability for an engineer appointment. Please respond to it, either via SMS or via your online Member Centre, and give me a nudge on here once you have, I'll get it raised. Smiley

Adam
SmileyH
Dabbler

@jab1 thanks 🙂

Hi @adam945 replied to the ticket, thank you! 🙂

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,606

Thanks for getting back to us @SmileyH and apologies for the delayed response

Looks like we'd booked the engineer in for today and they're currently assigned the job.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SmileyH
Dabbler

Hi @Gandalf 

A very helpful openreach engineer did make the appointment today, replaced the master socket, and I believe repaired the line at the cabinet and did a lift and shift.

Our connection speed has improved but it was fluctuating a bit during his testing. He said to let him know if the speed stays stable as there were some possible issues he didn't have time to resolve then.

He did wonder if the 10Mbps difference between what he was getting at the master socket and what the throughput was might be improved by a new model router/modem.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,606

Hi @SmileyH thanks for the update.

Fingers crossed the engineers efforts yesterday have sorted the problem out for you, how have your speeds been since then? Also, are you still using the Technicolor router & Openreach modem combo we've sent long ago?

I'll be happy to send you something from this century, a combined modem router (Hub One) if you'd want to try it out? Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SmileyH
Dabbler

Hi @Gandalf 

The last 24 hours it's been about 34Mbps up and 9Mbps down, no drop in speed so far. If it stays at this level i'll be pretty happy as that's the fastest it's been for a while.

I'm not sure why plusnet keep changing the details of the speeds on the account details page? Gone from overestimating to underestimating, and shifting the guaranteed minimum speed.

Yesterday was interesting, I had been using a Hub One but after the work at the cabinet the Hub One was causing errors on the engineers tests. So swapped back to the HG612 combo that I'd kept in the cupboard, which didn't return the errors of the Hub One.

On the plusnet homepage it says plusnet now supply a Hub Two?

Thanks Smiley

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @SmileyH, thanks for the update. I'm pleased there hasn't been a drop in speed!

I am sorry that the Hub One was bringing back some errors but pleased your own combo is working fine.

At the moment, the Hub Two is only available for new customers and re-contracting customers.

Let us know how things go!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
SmileyH
Dabbler

Hi, @Gandalf 

The download has dropped to 29-30Mbps over the weekend and the profile on the account page has been changed? Could you check this please? Thanks Smiley

image.png