Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily p.m. disconnections for multiple ISP's

longedge
Pro
Fixes: 4

Daily p.m. disconnections for multiple ISP's

My daily disconnections started again around 3pm and so far I've had 3 different IP addresses in half an hour. OK so it's not just PlusNet and appears to be spread across the Chesterfield exchange area FTTP users (as well as those in other areas as well I believe).

Is there any chance that someone will at least tell us what is going on. Presumably the last 2 or 3 weeks has been sufficient for someone to establish tghe cause of the problems.

Tags (1)
58 REPLIES 58
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Re: Daily p.m. disconnections for multiple ISP's

I know it doesn't help, but OpenReach say there are no current faults.

John
longedge
Pro

That's the problem really, nobody is aware of the larger picture. I've said previously that I don't like spreading rumours but neither do I like being kept in the dark. It needs someone to do more than just say somethng like,  "I can see that there has been a problem on your line, but it's testing OK now."

There *IS* a problem. It's happening more frequently as the days go by and there is, to some extent, a pattern to it. Anywhere between 2pm to 4pm 'the internet' turns to treacle. Almost as if there's a routing problem. After a few minutes the connection drops and then for the next couple of hours the same thing keeps happening again and again.

jab1
Legend

I wouldn't call it a routing problem, as that would affect a larger area. I suspect an FTTP infrastructure issue, but as I observed elsewhere, OpenReach appear to be run by the ghosts of GPO Telephones of old, whose attitude was 'sod the customer, we decide what kind of service, if any, we give them'. The fact that it involves multiple ISPs adds weight to the the issue of it being infrastructure-based.

John
longedge
Pro

I'm certainly no expert in these matters but I have noted that before a disconnection, certain sites stop responding but I can still access other sites. What I see is a gradual degradation before the final disconnection.

jab1
Legend

Very strange, @longedge . That adds a further complication into the equation. You have continually said it affects 'FTTP customers' - do you know if customers with an FTTC connection are seeing a similar problem?

John
pvmb
Pro
Fixes: 3

Whose DNS servers are you relying on? The Plusnet default servers via your router or others?

There have been recurring issues with Plusnet's DNS servers and routing for some months. I now use Cloudflair DNS servers from my Windows PC.

longedge
Pro

I have used Cloudflare and Google in the past but currently on default PlusNet. My DNS selection wouldn't be causing repeated disconnections for FTTP users from a variety of ISP's in the whole exchangfe area though Smiley

jab1
Legend

@longedge  A long shot, but could you run a tracert to 'bbc.co,uk' when you are running 'normally', and one when you notice sites 'dropping off' - this may eliminate DNS as an issue - which I don't think it is, but it would be useful to eliminate.

Also - IS it only FTTP connections suffering the issue, or does it affect FTTC as well?

John
Dhj

Hi there, i recently signed up to Sky super fast fibre and my connection has been dropping every day now for 2 weeks.around 3-4pm They have eventually given up trying to sort it out and have waived my termination fee so I am looking to go elsewhere. I was just about to take the plunge with Plusnet when I came across this thread. Do you know if this is a widespread issue?  Live in Chesterfield which is why it caught my eye. Many thanks for any insight

jab1
Legend

@Dhj It appears to affect a large area of the Chesterfield exchange, but there is no concrete explanation - as yet.

Were you on FTTP or FTTC with SKY?

John
Dhj

Thank you for replying so promptly. I was on FTTP which, coincidentally, crashed again just as I was writing this - 7:30 pm
jab1
Legend

Thanks for that. Adds to my thoughts that there is an FTTP issue in the Chesterfield area, although OpenReach say there are 'no problems'.

John
M3SNU-Steve
Grafter

Hi everyone I have lost my ftp connection again 19:15 tonight, orange light on router.  This is starting to get very annoying what is the issue is there a problem at Chesterfield exchange?

could someone please advise?

jab1
Legend

@M3SNU-Steve What is showing on your ONT - if you are on Full Fibre?

As I said above, OpenReach claim 'no issues' on Chesterfield.

John