Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Fixed IP

FIXED
ksaro1
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: FTTP Fixed IP

I'm getting Full Fibre installed tomorrow. I too have a static, or reserved, IP address with my FTTC account. I was told that that IP address will go away when I get Full Fibre and that I will need to be assigned a new one. The support staff whom I spoke to over the phone said that they will call me on Friday and arrange this. Based on this thread though, is there anything that I may need to tell the PN person? Or will they be able to re-assign me an IP address that will persist over router re-connects?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

@ksaro1  that doesn't sound right! You should retain your existing static IP. There WAS a problem whereby upgrading to Full Fibre caused the static IP not be be allocated even though the account retained the IP allocation. A number of us were caught by this problem, but it has now been fixed and we have all (AFAIK) retained our previous static IP's. There MAY be a short time between the fibre being activated by Openreach and the account change completing (by PlusNet) when you may get a dynamic IP but this should revert to your static when you get the account changed notification (you will then need to reboot the router)

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

deekayw
Grafter

Since the FIX seems like a few customers transferring seem to need 'something doing in the background', then a router restart to get their original Static IP. Bob Pullen, Gandalf and many others with the capacity to intervene have been extremely helpful to cutomers needing the intervention.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,606

@ksaro1, I think the problem described Here may have been confusing things. Your static IP ending in 131 is definitely still on your account and should be assigned to your FTTP connection once the account change has fully completed, which can be anytime up to midnight after your service is installed. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ksaro1
Rising Star

@Gandalf wrote:

@ksaro1, I think the problem described Here may have been confusing things. Your static IP ending in 131 is definitely still on your account and should be assigned to your FTTP connection once the account change has fully completed, which can be anytime up to midnight after your service is installed. 

@Gandalf thanks for the reply. But, I am seeing bizarre behaviour from Plusnet. My original switch was supposed to be 21 July, but Openreach changed it to 27 July (which they then failed to show and is now re-scheduled to 4 Aug!). I then noticed last week that I was getting a dynamic IP address. The 131 one was no longer being assigned to my connection. I then called the Helpdesk, and they confirmed that my static IP address had been disabled and would be re-enabled on 29 July by one of the support staff. However, I now see that I am getting my old IP address again.

I guess I'll just have to monitor this. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,606

There are two issues here. The interchanging IP issue should be resolved when the account change completes and you may need to reboot your router afterwards. You should then have your static IP permanently.

The second is a supplier problem. Having a look I can see that an engineer didn't show up as they had resourcing issues which basically means that there were too few engineers and too many jobs for them to get through.

Really sorry for the hassle. Let us know how it goes on the 4th August. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ksaro1
Rising Star

@Gandalf wrote:

Really sorry for the hassle. Let us know how it goes on the 4th August. 

Other than a small glitch due to the legacy BT conduit/channeling for the original copper cabling, the installation went superbly. My hats off to the contract installers. They were both helpful and worked expertly to resolve the one issue and complete the installation.

I see that I retained my fixed/static IP address. So, all is well.