cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Needed Upstairs Due To Multiple Floors

welshie1892
Dabbler

FTTP Needed Upstairs Due To Multiple Floors

So I had FTTP installed in my property a short while ago but the engineer insisted it be done by the front door. I have 3 floors in my home, and the office where my gaming PC, consoles and other technological devices reside, is upstairs. This leads to a loss of a fair few mbps due to the floors and distance, so would anyone be able to recommend what I should do? I’d prefer the ability to have Ethernet running to my devices as I have done in previous properties but that is not possible with where they currently installed it.
Tags (1)
17 REPLIES 17
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: FTTP Needed Upstairs Due To Multiple Floors

Just run or get run a decent Cat 6 ethernet cable from the ONT to the room with your PC/consols, and move the router to there.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 438

Is it possible to run an Ethernet cable from where the ONT is, to where you want the router ?

Up to100m Cat5e or Cat6 can be used without affecting performance

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

welshie1892
Dabbler

Not really as that would require running a wire up the stairs, then across the landing and into the office where I’d have to keep the door open at all time for the wire to fit. Would also be a trip hazard.
welshie1892
Dabbler

I would love to but running a wire that long would be hazardous and very tough as it’s gotta go up a flight of stairs, across the landing and then into the office. With it going in there, I can see the office door not even being able to be closed.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Is it possible to run the Cat5e/6 cable outside - you would of course need eternal grade cable?

John
welshie1892
Dabbler

There is a window to the office room but it’s at the back of the house and the ONT was installed at the front door so it would have to run right through.
jab1
Legend

Back out near the front door and round the house? AIUI, you can use 100m of cable without degradation of signal.

John
welshie1892
Dabbler

I’m not entirely sure how I would achieve that when I have a house either side of me though. I have a second floor window but I’d rather have a professional do something like that than myself.
jab1
Legend

OK, it was only a suggestion, anyway.

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

@welshie1892 

Have you considered powerline adapters, more info here:- https://powerlineadapters.co.uk/  

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@welshie1892   If you find an alarm installer, they can usually find ways of hiding cables and getting them to/from any part of a building.

Alternatively, you could try asking PN to get Openreach to move the ONT, likely cost £160, but as they have already said no, no doubt due to health and safety you may get the same answer.

welshie1892
Dabbler

I haven’t actually, and the engineer did mention something like that. Are they powerful enough to mirror what a connection straight to the box would be like?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 438

Powerline adaptors MAY work. 

To stand a good chance, the sockets ideally need to be on the same electrical circuit, and certainly not on circuits with different rcds ( split load consumer unit )

You need good quality high spec powerlines, don't believe the advertised speed.

What speed fttp product have you got ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

@welshie1892 

Is your attic floored?

While this would almost certainly require a professional to do it, run a cable (or two if you want to cover the upper floors) up the outside wall to the roof line, into the attic and accross and then down the other side and back into the house. Ethernet wall sockets at start and finish.

Brian