FTTP Problem

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,606

Re: FTTP Problem

Hey, this should be fixed for you now.

Can you reboot your router? Let me know how it goes. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Bluey

Thank you, its finally back up and running. You are a legend.

This issue really needs to be communicated to the helpdesk. I rang them today to tell them about your posts and fixes and was told they couldn't access the forums as it was "a different part of the business". If I hadn't looked the issue up we would likely be waiting way after the next Openreach engineer turns up to tell me everything is okay on my end.

But again, thank you. I can't believe how quickly you were able to resolve this.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Awesome and I'm really sorry for the trouble you've had getting your FTTP connection fixed. Sad

The incident (ref: IMT-8090) logged is definitely visible to agents, but I've asked if we can communicate it out as we know it's a terrible experience, we're expending engineer resource and sending additional hardware due to this. 

In the meantime as I'm involved in the investigation, I can say for sure that the right people are on it. They're looking for the root cause, with an aim to fix all remaining broken FTTP trial connections in a fell swoop. 

One of the benefits of being involved is that I can arrange for individual fixes for this particular issue pretty quickly. Smiley

Also sorry if the agents you've spoken with gave that response about our forums as anyone can see the posts here. 

If anyone else has the same issue, feel free to let me know. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Trialbygone
Hooked

Just thought I'd update this in case anyone else ends up with similar issues.

We ended up going with a&a (poor website, cumbersome way of doing an order necessitating using online banking but good price, fast response, good telephone support and able to preconfigure the phone and base station before sending them to us) having also shortlisted Voipfone.

We are now switched over to VoIP, the number porting worked well and we are now using the service to receive calls - but making outgoing calls on our Plusnet mobiles, for the cheapest all round solution. Plus elderly relatives have been able to continue calling without having needed to learn a new number, so they are happy too, which has made all the effort worthwhile.

Only thing that's left is there is still a dial tone on the old landline if we pick up the old phone. Do we need to do anything else to get it turned off?

Thanks again for all the help with both the internet and the landline issues - your help made a big difference to ensuring that we were able to emerge from a stressful situation with an internet service and our own phone number, which we were beginning to doubt would ever be possible!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Trialbygone, cheers for the update!

I’m glad to see the port went well. As a silver lining to the experience, at least you’re ahead of the curve and have your phone number off the aging copper network.

It’s normal to hear dial tone on a stopped phone line, but you won’t be able to make or receive calls. There’s a dial tone so it’s easy to reactivate it remotely if needed. It’ll remain that way until an engineer decides to either unplug it or use the line to connect a neighbouring property.

No problem at all for the help, I’m happy it’s all worked out in the end and let me know if there’s ever anything else you’d need help with. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet