Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP while keeping landline

FIXED
viralganatra

FTTP while keeping landline

Hi all,

Apologies I know this has been covered a thousand times before but I've tried reading through all the threads and I'm still confused!

I've currently on FTTC with Plusnet and have my landline with another provider (Shell). I'd like to make the move to FTTP but I understand I'll lose my landline. However, is it possible for Plusnet to install FTTP as a new service and leave the landline alone or will ceasing FTTC also get rid of my landline? 

Or would it be best to take up FTTP with another provider and keep FTTC running while I migrate my landline to a VOIP provider?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

Re: FTTP while keeping landline

Fix

There are different, potentially more important questions here - 

1. Do you have Plusnet's email services which you would prefer to retain?
  2. Do you have referrals discounts?
  3. Do you have a static IP address you need to keep "as is"?
  4. Do you have legacy website hosting?
  5. Do you have a Plusnet "Domain name free for life"?

If the answer to all is "No" then you have no "extras" to be concerned about losing from just ordering FTTP as a new user.

How you then deal with the land line and FTTC is a separate consideration.

If you were to migrated the landline to VoIP separately, that would also cancel the FTTC service.

Ceasing the FTTC service is not assured to leave the voice service unaffected - there have been some hairy experiences reported.  Best to enquire of COTS on that one...

Contact Customer Options Team (aka COTS)

COTs is the place to go to if you want to find out anything to do with your contract in respect of leaving, renewing or simply enquiring about early termination charges (ETCs). They have their own number and tend to answer quicker than the general customer service number.

Direct dial numbers

• 0800 013 2632 or 0800 079 1133(from within the UK)
  • +44 330 123 9197 (from abroad)
  • Available...
    • 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday
    • 9am - 7pm Saturday
    • 9am - 6pm Sunday

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

viralganatra

Thanks! The answer to all those is no so I'll get in touch with customer support

viralganatra

Just wanted to post an update.

FTTP was successfully installed yesterday and today my landline was also successfully ported over to A&A without a hitch!

mikedundas

Hi, We have the openreach engineer coming out on Monday to set us up with Full fibre. We really want to keep our landline. How soon was it that you got in touch with A&A? We don't want our current broadband with plus net to go off but don't want to leave it so long that we lose our number.  I just wondered how you did it please. Many thanks

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

@mikedundas 

As I understand it your number is put on "hold" for 30 days to allow you to port it out.

I believe you can set up your A&A account now so you're ready to port out on Tuesday. Don't do it before in case there's a problem with the FTTP install.

Brian

viralganatra

So I got in touch with A&A before I even placed the upgrade order with Plusnet and let them know the situation. Spoke to Michael (who is great) who advised emailing in about a week before the transfer date so they could do the work. A&A (Victoria) scheduled the port for the following day and it was all fine. Just let them know the situation and they're very technically competent and clued up (they've done this many times it sounds like).

mikedundas

Thank you so much I appreciate you getting back to me