Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FaceTime video, Teams and WhatsApp video stuttering

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Re: FaceTime video, Teams and WhatsApp video stuttering

I wouldn't like to speculate on the source of the issue just yet, without any engineer notes to go by. Though this is something that you can troubleshoot at your end to see if you can get a more reliable;e connection in the meantime before the engineer visit.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
snaqvy
Grafter

@adam945 

thanks the other router seemed to have the same issue again. This is really annoying and I’ve used all my mobile data tethering for work meeting, had to buy a data add on Sad

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

I can only imagine @snaqvy the connection does indeed look pretty bad. I'll pop a visual radius below which shows the number of disconnections you've had over the last few days. I won't be able to run a GEA test on the line this morning due to the open fault, but it's clear that something is wrong.

Hopefully, the engineer is able to both diagnose and resolve the issue on Monday.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
snaqvy
Grafter

@adam945 

thanks for your help with this.

The engineer replaced all the wiring from the house to the street cabinet. The internet still seems unstable, with random disconnects video calls and anything live being the most affected. Still not getting the speeds expected either.

The last option to try is to pay for the replacement modem. Hopefully this fixes the issue. Do you think we could get the modem free, as the contract was only recently renewed in summer?

Also what are our options if we do not get the "guaranteed" speed?

snaqvy
Grafter

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @snaqvy, thanks for getting back to us with an update. I am really sorry that you are still having issues.

Upon testing, whilst the line looks more stable we are seeing a high number or errors and can see our team have advised a new router needed. As a gesture of goodwill I have issued a new router removing the p&p cost for you. This will be a replacement of the router you already have and should be with you within the next 3-5 working days.

Let us know how things go once this arrives. I have also requested that the line be unbanded for you now the drops are at bay.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
snaqvy
Grafter

@LaurenB  Thanks so much  I had just called in to pay for the replacement when Ashley said a free relacement had already been sent out by you, apparently!

Hopefully this fixs the stuttering video calls issue

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No worries, I'm sorry you had to go through the trouble of calling to find out though. Let us know how things go once this arrives Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
snaqvy
Grafter

@LaurenB thank you for that no worries I really hope it helps

we have still had some speed issues and the sync speed dropped again overnight and disconnected a couple of times

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I am sorry to hear that, I can see that it dropped a couple of times over night. Fingers crossed this new router sorts these issues but if not we will get this progressed further for you.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
snaqvy
Grafter

@LaurenB 

Thanks once again for your help and sending out the new router.

It arrived today and we set it up around 3.30pm. by 4pm it was doing the same as the old router and reconnecting every 1 minute or so, and the speed test was terrible (<5mbps 15:46 and 15:56 in the screenshots attached), if I could get the speed test to run at all.

Swapped back to the old router. worked ok for 20 or so minutes and now constantly disconnecting, every minute. so posting this from me mobile tethering.

May swap back to new router, as it does not seem to matter which is plugged and then we'll pray it stablises.

So far we've had:

- first engineers visit- the master socket been replaced with intergrated filter, modem cable replaced, various tests run - still unstable

- second engineer visit- the wiring from the new master socket to the street cabinet has all been changed- still unstable

- updated the firmware of the old router to the latest via @bobpullen 

- the old router has been swapped for a new one with the older firmware

and still the internet is not stable at all and still not getting the guaranteed speeds. Video calls are stuttering as ever. Attached screenshots show the disconnect issues with the new modem, and the speed tests. (<5mbps 15:46 and 15:56 in the screen shots attached). some speed tests are with the old modem i.e. the latest (16:23 to 16:29).

The old modem is the older speed tests, ran some of these after 1am a few days ago to make sure the time of day was not affecting things- seems worse off after 1am!

what can we now try? the second engineer suggested switching to FTTP, seriously considering this as the current broadband is just not usable and causing lots of stress in the house. I've had to tether and buy 2x10gb data addons from EE to take part in work meetings- about £15 each time.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

@snaqvy - just looking very quickly at your new Hubs Help Desk, I couldn't help but notice that (1) No modulation is specified - which, unless I am really thick, means you are not properly set up - something PN will need to sort and (2) as a side note, your Firmware version could do with being upgraded to the latest release, but that will not affect your connection, it's just nice to have.

John
snaqvy
Grafter

@jab1 

thanks. moved back to old router:

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.289.1.3 Last updated 25/11/21

Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B

will wait to see but the new router seems less stable than the old one-

snaqvy
Grafter

attached WAN log of the old router, showing disconnects

(updated attachment)

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

@snaqvy wrote:

@jab1 

thanks. moved back to old router:

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.289.1.3 Last updated 25/11/21

Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B

will wait to see but the new router seems less stable than the old one-

It will - because it is not fully set up - it needs to know which modulation mode it is supposed to use.

John