cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Fibre 900 terrible download speeds.

rpmmatt81
Hooked

Full Fibre 900 terrible download speeds.

Finally, after a 1 and a half month delay, my Fibre 900 was activated today.

Speed test all shows 900+ Mb/s down with 100+Mb/s up.

Very impressive I thought, until I tried downloading anything.

I primarily wanted fibre for downloading games from Steam and other platforms.

Seem to consistently get downloads of less than 100Mb/s, and sometimes chugs at 8Mb/s even slower than non fibre broadband.

Feeling very disappointed right now, as if this is the best I can manage I would rather have my old connection back the fibre removed.

Anything I can try?

Plusnet Router is connected via Cat5e which came in the box, between my PC and the router is a Cat6 cable.

I've tried resetting the router. Nothing else running, no other devices running. Not sure what to do.

10 REPLIES 10
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 438

Re: Full Fibre 900 terrible download speeds.

Speed test all shows 900+ Mb/s down with 100+Mb/s up.

if that's the case then it shows the connection is capable of those speeds.

If downloading from other sites is slower it tends to indicate a problem with those sites,

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

I was wondering if there is a confusion between Mb/s and Mbps?

https://www.convertunits.com/from/MB/s/to/Mbps 

Dan.

rpmmatt81
Hooked

Yes, but when my download caps around at maybe 150Mb/s and frequently drops to less, and others with similar connections cap at around 700Mb/s, you could see why I feel short changed.

I've submitted a support ticket and will see what plusnet say. Hopefully I can be put on a cheaper lower speed plan, or get my fibre removed and old connection back, at the moment, I'm paying for nothing.
rpmmatt81
Hooked

No, I've explicitly set download speed to be displayed in Mb/s to avoid that confusion.

Doing it your way:

My previous connection was 70Mb/s giving downloads of approx. 6MB/s.

My new connection is 900Mb/s giving a download of 10MB/s.

Barely an improvement when looking at the increased cost
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

There are many factors which can cause reduced download speeds, many outside of plusnet control. As @MisterW said it could be the source you are using. 

rpmmatt81
Hooked

Strange. Tonight something has changed and I'm now getting 500 to 700 Mb/s and much more stable.

No idea what changed but whatever, it seems fine now.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Ah the rest of the world is not downloading at the same time as you!

This is Ladybird book of basic networking, perhaps a bit of basic research needed before assuming might help - but in a domestic environment - what do you really need?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 317

@rpmmatt81 wrote:
Strange. Tonight something has changed and I'm now getting 500 to 700 Mb/s and much more stable.

Out of curiousity, did you make this post this from your Plusnet connection? Reason I ask, is because the IP address of your last forum visit does not originate from the Plusnet network.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

rpmmatt81
Hooked

I was posting on my mobile.

Is that a problem?

I can screenshot my account if you think I'm some kind of troll.

I've been a plusnet customer for years, the whole process of getting my fibre fitted at all been a pain and when connected I was having speed problems, giving me less than I was receiving under my previous product.
I went from getting consistent downloads of 6 to 7 MB/s, when fibre was giving a very inconsistent 10MB/s, to as low as 2 or 3 MB/s.

I asked for advice then spoken to as if I'm trying to load the internet from an old AOL disc I found in a draw. (No, I already know what Mb Vs MB is.) (And no, I don't need any ladybird books thanks)
Thankfully, what ever was causing the issue seems to have cleared, as it seems clear no help is offered here.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 317

@rpmmatt81 wrote:
I was posting on my mobile.
Is that a problem?
I can screenshot my account if you think I'm some kind of troll.

Thanks, not at all, and apologies if I gave you that impression.

I just wanted to rule out the possibility that the device you were using might have (unbeknown to you) been running some sort of proxy/private relay/VPN service. If it was, it might have helped explain your observations.

Rest assured, my post was well intentioned and I was just trying to help you get to the bottom of things (like all other contributors I imagine) Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵