cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Fibre options Clarification

AlanH55
Hooked

Full Fibre options Clarification

Having  read through the various community posts I now believe the following to be true

As an existing Plusnet customer you can now ADD full fibre broadband without affecting an existing account (ADSL)

Porting an existing line number at a later date will cancel the copper line automatically.

You can request to keep your existing Plusnet email with the fibre option

Digital voice is not an option

I have had conflicting responses to the above over the past few months. Perhaps someone could clarify for me.

I provide tech support to a few private Plusnet users, my self included.

Many Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Full Fibre options Clarification

@AlanH55 

Sorry, I think you've got it wrong.

You can only keep your current account (phone number) by signing up as a new customer. This account will have no phone or e-mail service.

Once FTTP is up and running you can then port your phone number which cancels your ADSL account and exisiting e-mail accounts. PlusNet appear willing to waive early termination charges with this route but you need to get confirmation first from PN.

Brian

Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

Having  read through the various community posts I now believe the following to be true

As an existing Plusnet customer you can now ADD full fibre broadband without affecting an existing account (ADSL)

Yes

Porting an existing line number at a later date will cancel the copper line automatically.

Yes

You can request to keep your existing Plusnet email with the fibre option

No, you will lose your email account

Digital voice is not an option

Correct

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

AlanH55
Hooked

Thanks for the responses

I am a great fan of Plusnet and its staff, but its sometimes difficult to speak to someone in the know. I also appreciate how obtuse both BT and Openreach can be so have some sympathy.

i'll share a current unresolved scenario as an illustration of the frustration that can occur.

Large country house surrounded by fields and stables

Long term Plusnet client with 2 landlines, both ADSL enabled at max 5meg each. Yes really.

Looking to upgrade to full fibre, for obvious reasons.

Full Fibre is available and already terminated at a Pole 30m line of sight from the house and on their land.

I spoke to Plusnet regarding the ADDITION  of Full fibre and retaining  the existing lines and ADSL until a later date. This would allow for a managed migration of the email and phone to VOIP at a time of our choice.

I was told the copper lines would be removed automatically.

Zen said they could do it without removing the existing but we would prefer to stay with Plusnet So what next?

Adjacent to the big house is a small cottage, a driveway width of 3m to the side. Its also 30m from the pole. It has the same post code but known as stable cottage. Its on the same land and has the same owner.

Apparently Plusnet  CAN supply Full fibre to the cottage without affecting the existing lines because its a different address.

The ideal is to add the fibre to the main house - but the cottage seems like the safer bet.

At a push I can run cabling back to the main house OR Order it for the cottage and ask the Openreach engineer to put it in the main house instead?

What to do?

Thanks for listening - any suggestions much appreciated

Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

Full Fibre is available and already terminated at a Pole 30m line of sight from the house and on their land.

I spoke to Plusnet regarding the ADDITION  of Full fibre and retaining  the existing lines and ADSL until a later date. This would allow for a managed migration of the email and phone to VOIP at a time of our choice.

I was told the copper lines would be removed automatically.

I suspect that this was the opinion of a single Plusnet Agent.

There is nothing to stop you having more than one Plusnet service at your property. If one of them is Fibre then so be it. As far as I am aware that is no reason to remove an active ADSL connection.

I suggest that you try again with Plusnet.

Ordering a service at one property and then asking the installer to install it in the next door one is not likely to fly, regardless of the relative sizes of the properties.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero

@AlanH55 

Would I be right in thinking Stable Cottage currently doesn't have an Internet connection and therefore is not PlusNet supplied.

If so, and you order FTTP from PlusNet as a new customer, you get given the option of retaining your existing phone number (for the cottage) with a different supplier.

You need the wizard @Gandalf to respond to this thread but as far as I know if you order FTTP for the House once again you choose the option to keep the phone line. PlusNet appear willing to waive early termination charges for DSL connections so long as FTTP is installed first. You would be paying monthly for 3 accounts so the sooner e-mail & phone can be migrated the cheaper it becomes.

Brian

AlanH55
Hooked

Sorry, I should have said. The cottage has no active phone line.

Cost is the least worry for the owner at this stage - a managed migration is the priority. Zen seem happy with it so why not plusnet? its all down to Openreach after all

I'll try the team again

Thanks for the comments - ill update when I have spoken to them

AlanH55
Hooked

Thx for the comments

I'll update when I have spoken to them

bmc
Hero

@AlanH55 

Once PlusNet (or BT) took the decision not to offer a voice service I suspect their systems don't allow for the porting of numbers without cancelling the account.

Brian

AlanH55
Hooked

A few months back I made a series of posts  with a request to clarify the ADDITION of full fibre to a property whilst retaining the two existing ADSL lines. The consensus was that this was now an option available through Plusnet even though the agent I spoke to initially said no. Just to be clear that we wanted to retain the copper lines and numbers for the time being to allow for a planned migration in the future. Good help from the community thanks

I promised to report back

The Client and I have spent the past two months trying to order  the fibre. `At every stage we have had to ask for the agent or contact to check with someone more senior to confirm we can do this. Two steps forward One step back at each stage.

Eventually and order was placed and a date set for installation.  Hub 2 Router arrived plus a replacement for an old ADSL Plusnet unit on an existing account. Nothing much heard for a few weeks until three steps backwards!! Text below

Hello XXXXX

Account username: xxxxxxx

Our Support Team have updated Question 228333410 with the comment shown below.

Dear Mr  Hxxxxx

Greetings from PlusNet
Hope you are doing well
We are really sorry to inform you that we were unable  to place the fibre order as there are multiple lines at the property.
We would request you to confirm the telephone number of the line. 

Line access ID/number:

XXXX67162	

xXXXX67161

If you want please don't hesitate to contact us on:

Webchat: https://www.plus.net/help/chat/

Email: http://contactus.plus.net

Phone: 0800 432 0200 or on 0345 140 0200

Kind regards,

Akash Bose

[Email notification sent to: XXXXXXXXX

[Sms Message: Greetings from PlusNet

Hope you are doing well

We are really sorry to inform you that we were unable  to place the fibre order as there are multiple lines at the property.

We would request you to confirm the telephone number of the line. 

Line access ID/number:

xxxxxx67162	

xxxxxx67161]

So once again we are unable to ADD the fibre. The issue is unlikely to be  technical - the house stands alone on a few acres of land. The existing coper lines have already had fibre added to within 30m of the house. I checked with ZEN and they were happy to supply. We want to stay with Plusnet but this is proving a challenge. I suspect its a Plusnet internal systems issue but no one seems to be prepared to deal with it -- and I  promise we have tried.

Can someone please resolve this?? 

Many Thanks for listening

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@AlanH55  This sounds like an absolute disaster from the start. If you were ordering a new Full Fibre account  i.e. not an upgrade the fact that there were existing copper lines should be totally irrelevant. Have you managed to find out what type of connection was ordered by Plusnet. It looks like it was for an FTTC service so they would be confused if there are 2 lines into the property.

The only advice I can give and hope that he can help is the Plusnet wizard @Gandalf who may be available. He is on his last day on the forum before moving to a new role and will be missed by every customer he has helped. I wish him the best for the future.😁

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,606

Hi @AlanH55,

I'm really sorry for how we've handled the request to install full fibre without affecting the other lines at the property. 

I've firstly closed the ticket ref 228333410 to try to avoid further confusion our side, and I've then manually placed your full fibre order with our suppliers without ceasing any of the lines which are active at the property.

I've created a new ticket Here which we'll use to monitor the progress of the order. It's looking like the installation will be on the 3rd December 8am to 1pm, but this may change depending on engineer availability / external work. 

@RealAleMadrid, cheers! It's feeling even more real tonight, but looking forward to what lies ahead. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,606

Hey @AlanH55,

Openreach have confirmed the order and arranged an engineer to visit on the 5th December 8am to 1pm. 

Let us know if you need to rearrange the appointment. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
AlanH55
Hooked

Thank you so much for your intervention and help, and to the Plusnet community generally.

Good luck with the new role - hopefully overseeing customer service 😏