Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full fibre145 speed?

FIXED
Eggs
Rising Star

Re: Full fibre145 speed?

@Baldrick1

You are aware other users are having this exact same issue don't you?

No increase in download speed after service upgrade?

I have a feeling we are all jumping through hoops for no reason and are all wasting our time.

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Further to @Baldrick1  comment about static IPs. 

When I had Plusnet, I never paid for a static IP, but I always had the Plusnet Broadband Firewall enabled and on 'Low' setting for past 15 years - I think the Firewall was enabled by 'default' setting for new customers in 2008 when I joined. 

I noticed my IP address seemed to remain the same since 2020.  I was only informed it was a 'static' IP when I asked Plusnet why rDNS lookups were showing up my plusnet username.  They subsequently replaced it with a generic hostname as I didn't wish to turn off the Plusnet Broadband Firewall.

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/about-plusnets-broadband-firewall/ 

https://mxtoolbox.com/ReverseLookup.aspx 

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Porthrepta
Grafter
Fixes: 1

@Baldrick1 Interesting question! Yes, I do have a static IP address...

Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

@Porthrepta 

It would be interesting to hear from one of the more experienced Plusnet staffers, one who know about these things, whether this is still a factor and whether it has been checked out @willcutforth?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 438

@Baldrick1 the plusnet profile is still active for connections using static IP's. However, the profile is shown as 'Current line speed' on the account. So given that @Porthrepta s is showing as 160Mb , it shouldnt be causing the problem , even if a static IP is being used.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

@MisterW 

Ah well, it was just a wild thought I had late last night.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

All thoughts are useful, if only to eliminate what's not causing the problem.

Personally I suspect this spate of speeds not changing is down to a fault in OR/BTw systems. The ordering system is automated, so PN place an order with BTw to regrade a connection, their systems in turn place an order with OR, whose systems then actually cause a change (somewhere) in the network to change the connection speed. The order completions then go back automatically through the various systems. My suspicion is that a bug somewhere is causing the orders to be marked as completed, systems are updated but no actual final change in connection speed is processed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bill888
Champion

@MisterW 

My daft question.

How do we know for sure the "Current Line speed" is working for the affected customers?  There may be a bug/fault?

(Two customers reporting their upload speeds have increased. But their download speed seem to be capped at previous rate.)

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Well, ultimately we don't, but AFAIK the value displayed on the account is taken directly from the system that uses it to profile the line.

shazzbot
Rising Star

Good to see people brainstorming this problem, especially as a few of us are in this predicament now.

Porthrepta
Grafter
Fixes: 1

oops! Posted this earlier in a wrong but similar conversation on this issue.
Now slightly edited....

@MisterW @Baldrick1 

Just to eliminate the issue being a fixed IP address, could setting it 'not to be fixed' on the account possibly correct the issue?
It could then be made a fixed IP address again whether (hopefully) resolved or not.

I don't actually require the same fixed IP address again, I can update the specific services that require this.

I looked on Plusnet and it seems easy but had all sorts of clauses when getting it fixed, so I would prefer someone to possibly do this on my behalf without the contract changing if anyone wishes to investigate this aspect.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

A view from @bobpullen would be helpful here.

shazzbot
Rising Star

DHCP is enabled on my connection so that means I'm not on a static IP but dynamic, right?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

@shazzbot Wrong. DHCP is needed - it will just pick the same fixed IP - if indeed you have one.

John
bill888
Champion

@shazzbot 

Use myip.com or speedtest.net to get your current IP address for your Plusnet connection.

Restart the hub.

If you have a static IP, the address will remain the same as before.