cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub2 router ethernet connection to power line adapter for TV. Best setup for 500Mbps Full Fibre ?

FIXED
bazzer9
Grafter

Hub2 router ethernet connection to power line adapter for TV. Best setup for 500Mbps Full Fibre ?

I will soon be upgrading from Unlimited Fibre (FTTC) 30Mbps to  Full Fibre (FTTP) 500Mbps and I intend to use my existing Plusnet Hub2 router.

With my FTTC setup I have been using an ethernet cable connection from the Hub2 to a TL-PA4010P pass through power line adapter plugged into the Mains. A second TL-PA4010P is plugged into the mains close to  my TV and connects to the TV via a second ethernet cable. Originally I used this configuration when I had a Hub1 router,  because at that time the WiFI signal wasn't very strong and the power line adapter/ethernet system worked well with the TV.

Now I'm wondering what is the best  configuration for a Full Fibre 500Mbps system ?

Will the TL-PA4010P limit the internet speed to the TV to less than 500Mbps,  because I've read that  the speed limit  through a power line adapter is about 100Mbps ?

If so, is it better to forget about the TL-PA4010P solution and boost the WiFi signal to the TV instead ?

4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

Re: Hub2 router ethernet connection to power line adapter for TV. Best setup for 500Mbps Full Fibre

Fix

Will the TL-PA4010P limit the internet speed to the TV to less than 500Mbps,  because I've read that  the speed limit  through a power line adapter is about 100Mbps ?

Simple answer is , yes!. The PA4010P only has a 10/100 Ethernet port and so will limit the speed to 100Mb to any ice connected via it.

However, is the TV the only thing connected via the PA4010P and does it really need > 100Mb ? , unlikely ...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bazzer9
Grafter

Re: Hub2 router ethernet connection to power line adapter for TV. Best setup for 500Mbps Full Fibre

Thank you for your help MisterW

Yes, the TV is the only device connected via  my TL-4010P's and I take your point that the TV doesn't need data rates higher than 100Mbps.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

No problem.

In fact you may well find that your TV only has a 10/100 port anyway! I just checked the connection to my LG TV ( a couple of years old ) and sure enough its showing as 100M even though its connected to a gigabit capable port on my router.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

"In fact you may well find that your TV only has a 10/100 port anyway! I just checked the connection to my LG TV ( a couple of years old ) and sure enough its showing as 100M even though its connected to a gigabit capable port on my router."

Our Sony 4K UHD TV, of similar vintage, is the same.

As has already been said, even a 4K UHD stream doesn't need anything like 100Mbits, (there are exceptions to this, which I won't go in to here).

Maybe when the time comes that TV is all streamed over the internet, (currently expected to be some time in the 2030s), and 16K Ultra Ultra Ultra High Definition is the norm, that might change!  🤔