Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation issues - Moving from FFTC to FTTP

mill1
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Installation issues - Moving from FFTC to FTTP

I am currently looking to move from Plus Net FTTC to FTTP as it’s available to me and currently the existing phone line comes from the roadside through a duct across the grass and ends up at the termination box located in the area where there is now blocked paving. The fibre cable will be able to be brought through the duct but will need a slab or two of the blocked paving lifted up then recemented back. Will the engineer / Openreach do this? The existing telephone wiring goes up and through the wall to the Master socket in the office which is located in an upstairs room. The router is also located there. Originally there was wood on the front of the house but now tiles. Ideally, I would want the ONT located in the same room. Will I have an issue because of the tiles and what installation options may I have?

13 REPLIES 13
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Installation issues - Moving from FFTC to FTTP

fwiw, the Openreach engineer is unlikely to lift any paving slabs if he can't pull new cable through the duct.  He/she is not a builder.   I believe they will arrange for subcontractors to come and deal with what is basically a 'blocked duct'.....

I think you would need to discuss with the Openreach engineer how to secure the cable to your tiled wall.  They could refuse to drill/nail into the tiles for fear of cracking them?

Note the engineer will need to drill a hole in wall for securing their ladder if they have to work above ground level too.  Health & Safety.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

You're certainly right about securing the ladder and I'd be fairly confident you're right on the other points

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mill1
Hooked

Thank for your comments very helpful

mill1
Hooked

Thanks for confirmation

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

@mill1 

You may well have problems with the tiles. Apart from securing the ladder and the cable to the wall a Customer Splice Point (CSP) box needs to be fitted to the outside wall.

One thing that might help a bit is if you're willing to have the existing copper phone cable removed (assuming you own the property). The installer might be able to use the existing cable securing points and bring the fibre cable in through the existing entry point without drilling a new hole (which I believe is usually done from the inside wall and has been known to remove chunks of stone or rendering).

Note the ONT also need a power source (as well as the router). However as the router gets connected by an ethernet cable you have some leeway as to where this goes (not limited by cable length).

You need to discuss matters with the installer on the day.

Brian

mill1
Hooked

Sounds a bit promising. Yes I understood that there is a box that goes on the outside of ones property, I didn't know until now what it was called. Currently there is a standard grey box. At this moment in time there are two telephone line cables that come to the property. One of the lines was switched off a few years ago. Going forward since I won't have a home phone any more yes that could resolve the issue. I understood that before the installation day there is a survey to see if any additional work needs to be done unless I'm mistaken. I was aware that the ONT required a power source. If the fibre cable comes through the same route direct to upstairs that would work best for me.

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Enter your house number and postcode into this checker

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome 

What does it say for 'FTTP install Process' ?

Here is example.

0plus.jpg

If it says 'Stage 1', it means an Openreach engineer would be booked to come on agreed installation day.  

If it says 'KCI2 Assure', there will be a survey of your duct.  I think the visit is within a week of ordering.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
bmc
Hero

@mill1 

@bill888 has beaton me to it. I was going to suggest the same as he has.

One further point to add is there will be a narrative about FTTP below the results window. This might say something about installation.

Brian

mill1
Hooked

I've not placed an order yet but the report does state the following:

FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered

If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service

bmc
Hero

@mill1 

That appears to suggest OR are not expecting any installation problems - they may not know about the paving slabs or your desire to have the ONT installed on the first floor. The engineer on the day may not be trained to work at height or have the necessary equipment.

I would suggest you give the PlusNet Customer Options Team (COTS) a phone on 0800 013 2632 to discuss your options (and prices!!!). When placing an order they may be able to attach a note to the order itself about the install.

Brian

mill1
Hooked

I spoke with that team last week and as far as prices are concerned the cost on the web portal is fixed and over the phone is the same. It will however be a few pounds less than renewing my current option which includes home phone and I don't use it that much in any case. So I think the way forward is to order via the phone when I'm ready.

bmc
Hero

@mill1 

Ordering over the phone would seem to be the right way forward. That way you'd be able to speak about any potential problems to see if they can tell OR.

Worst case senario is OR turn up on the day and, after speaking to you either can't do the install or can only do part of it. If the duct is clear they could do the first part (fibre to the CSP on the property) and leave the upper work to a suitably qualified engineer. It would delay the order.

You should also be able to port your phone number to a VOIP provider if you wished to keep it. An OFCOM Right to Port is now in place which PN should be following. One VOIP provider is (there are others)

https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/voip-information/

If you do go for FTTP do let us know how you get on.

Brian

mill1
Hooked

Hello all, last week I finally got my FTTP service installed. It was ordered in May but there was a duct problem in the nearby area but recently that was resolved. The Openreach engineer was able to run the fibre cable from the outside box direct to the ONT to my upstairs office via a bedroom. This was done very neatly and outside it ran underneath the front door and the cable is almost invisible to the casual passer by. All in all a job well done. Thank you for all your past comments.