Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New activation: broadband connected but no internet

FIXED
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Re: New activation: broadband connected but no internet

@peterseem Unfortunately, you won't get a response from PN over the extended weekend, but what you have posted above should make it crystal clear that as you say, the fault is with the OpenReach 'build' of your circuit - although I suspect PN will still try and wriggle out of admitting this.  Sometimes, I wonder if they employ anyone with even the basics of knowledge!!

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

@peterseem in your first post you said you'd moved to a new home, I assumed that was a new build. Looking at your photo of the ONT , that looks like an old style one, does that mean that it isnt a new build and there was a service using that ONT before you moved in ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

peterseem
Hooked

That's right. I meant "new" as in new to us. Sorry for the confusion. There was a pre-existing service -- I believe the previous owner used BT.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

No need to be sorry, It was my incorrect assumption!.

The fact that there was a pre-existing service adds more likelyhood that there is a BTw/Openreach failure to provision the circuit correctly.

Since the previous service was with BT , it might be interesting to try with BT credentials in the router ( I think the PN Hub will allow a BT username? )

Try username bthomehub@btbroadband.com , password can be anything I think  , there's nothing to lose and it might just give internet if the previous circuit routing is still in place.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

Fix
@MisterW

Given that this is a multi port ONT is there merit in trying the other ports to see if the service has been provided on one of them?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Townman good point!.

Definitely worth a try...

peterseem
Hooked

@Townman that did the trick!  I'm a bit embarassed as I tried all four ports as part of my troubleshooting a few days ago -- I may even have told you all so, above -- but it looks like I just didn't wait long enough.

This time I left it alone for the time it takes to make a coffee, and given more time the hub has provisioned on Port 2 of the ONT -- DNS assigned, username has been set, etc.  Everything looks good from this end.

@MisterW & @jab1 thank you both for your help, and appologies if my answers misdirected you.  For what it's worth, @jab1 , I don't mind that first line support don't have the same knowledge as subject matter experts, and I don't mind that they need to work through their troubleshooting tree (as you can see, plenty of us users think we know more than we do!) before escalating.  My main frustration is that they advertise so many ways to reach out (text, web troubleshooter, call-backs) all of which are going into a black hole.  With most folks working during the day, we really need some kind of asynchronous communication, too.  Taking a morning off to sit by the router and wait on hold feels... unecessary.

I hope you all have a pleasant long weekend.  Mine will certainly be that little bit easier becuase of your help!

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Glad you got it sorted, @peterseem . A picture paints a thousand words, and I'm sorry I didn't think of the 'try another port' idea when I saw your pictures, but in my defence, I'm still learning the ins and outs of FTTP provisions - this is another little nugget to add. 😉

I take your point about support staff, but having been in this game as long as I have, and having occasion to correct them on certain things, I am probably a little biased.

Enjoy the long weekend.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'm a bit embarassed as I tried all four ports as part of my troubleshooting a few days ago -- I may even have told you all so, above 

@peterseem I dont think anyone realised you had a 4 port ONT until you posted the picture. I'd be surprised if 1st line support did either, they haven't been used for some time now!. Even with the 4 port ONT I'm surprised that Openreach didn't reprovision the service on port1. AFAIK port 2 is only used when there are two active services.

Gold star to @Townman for suggesting try the other ports, dont think I would have thought of it...

My apologies to @ClaudiaG23 it was home environment (well sort of!) after all , but it would have been good if PN had followed through on the promised call, maybe the advisor would have solved the problem at that time.