cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New install - how long until I see a stable speed?

presterjohn
Hooked

New install - how long until I see a stable speed?

Hello

I had a FTTP 500 installed on Monday.
Install has been flawless, but speeds are slightly below the minimum expectations of 275.
I have tried wired via the plusnet router and also my existing Fritz Box.

BT and Ookla tests both show similar results, but I'm curious if it's too early to raise an issue?
11 REPLIES 11
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: New install - how long until I see a stable speed?

Could you post your actual wired speed test results from ookla?

I presume you also tried choosing different ookla server with no improvement?

What service did you have prior to upgrading to full fibre 500 ?

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 438

How long until I see a stable speed?

FTTP doesnt have any 'training/stabilisation' period. It should go at the provisioned speed immediately.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

presterjohn
Hooked

Thank you for the replies - everything appears okay when I use Windows. Unsure why I'm having issues on Linux, but I guess that isn't an issue for this forum!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Unsure why I'm having issues on Linux, but I guess that isn't an issue for this forum!

Why not? We're a versatile lot round here.

I've seen issues with speedtests using Firefox on Linux ( ubuntu ) on my 900Mb connection. I'm sure there was a setting I tweaked to sort it. First download the speedtest cli version to confirm that it's a browser problem.

https://www.speedtest.net/apps/cli

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

presterjohn
Hooked

I'm not entirely sure if this is classed as a "fix", but I can walk through my issue and how I have resolved it. Perhaps it'll help someone in the future.

I have been using my FritzBox 7490 since my FTTP was installed. This was mainly for an easy switchover and it has been a reliable device over the years.

I first noticed something was up when I started looking at my Pihole logs.
There appears to be a level of ipv4 incompatibility between my FritzBox and my Ubuntu box. This issue didn't exist when the FritzBox was in DSL mode, but since switching over I have noticed loads of issues with my resolv.conf, causing intermittent issues on the Ubuntu machine and completely cutting off any docker containers from the internet (host and bridge both the same).

Out of curiosity, I plugged in the Hub Two and all my issues are gone.

I'm fairly sure there will be some way of fully solving the issue, but everything is working at full speed with the Hub Two

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Strange!

As a matter of interest , what DNS server(s) is the Fritzbox set to issue to DHCP clients ?

By default the Hub 2 will issue itself as a cacheing DNS server and then forward on to Plusnet's DNS

but then again, I can't why a Linux client would be different to Windows , assuming both set to DHCP ?

presterjohn
Hooked

FritzBox was using the IP address of my PiHole, running in a container on my Ubuntu box for DNS.
I set this back to the default when I noticed the issue, but it didn't resolve anything for me.
I messed around with the DHCP settings but it still wouldn't change the outcome.
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

fwiw, I just looked up the specs of the Fritzbox 7490

https://deviwiki.com/wiki/AVM_FRITZ!Box_7490 

It dates back to 2013 ! It uses similar Lantiq 500 MHz MIPS based SoC as 2013 Home Hub 5/Plusnet Hub One.

imho, It may simply be too slow to be able to operate at Full Fibre 500 speeds.....

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

You can change the DNS server settings on the Hub 2, so you could try using the Pihole again if you wished.

I'm at a bit of a loss to see why the Fritzbox should be any different from a Lan IPV4 prospective when changing from DSL to WAN ?

I dont like to not understand why something isnt working, because in my experience its going to come back and bite sooner or later...

@bill888  although its not recommended for FTTP,  I believe the Hub one will handle a 900Mb downstream BUT is limited to 30Mb upstream.

presterjohn
Hooked

@bill888 it's a great piece of kit but looking at those specs makes me realise that it's probably time to retire it 😃
presterjohn
Hooked

@MisterW Pihole + Unbound are back up and running now, thank you

I'm going to keep an eye on resolv.conf to see if any other weirdness happens. I'll update this post if I come across anything.