Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Throttling on FTTP connection

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Speed Throttling on FTTP connection

fwiw, try downloading this Microsoft image for Office to see if it slows down.  It is 4.4GB in size.

https://officecdn.microsoft.com/pr/492350f6-3a01-4f97-b9c0-c7c6ddf67d60/media/en-us/Professional2021... 

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Clint_1701-A
Dabbler

Hey @bill888 

Just tried it and surprisingly it held it at a consistent 36MBps and towards the latter end it then dropped to 31MBps for a bit then back to 36 (which is expected due to congestion etc)

I will keep trying this though and will let you know should it change, I wonder if it's more a problem at the games app end then...

bill888
Champion

Excuse my ignorance, but are the games downloaded using a web browser like any other single file, or retrieved by using some other dedicated software(s)?

Clint_1701-A
Dabbler

@bill888 

Steam, GOG, Epic - all through their individual programs, not through a web browser.

bill888
Champion

A bit of a long shot, but do any of those individual programs allow you to choose a different download server location?

eg. USA, EU or UK etc

Clint_1701-A
Dabbler

@bill888 

Yep, and I have changed it to other locations too and no joy Sad

OldBen
Dabbler
Fixes: 2

@Clint_1701-A wrote:

Hey @bill888 

Just tried it and surprisingly it held it at a consistent 36MBps and towards the latter end it then dropped to 31MBps for a bit then back to 36 (which is expected due to congestion etc)

I will keep trying this though and will let you know should it change, I wonder if it's more a problem at the games app end then...

Just a curious one, could you confirm on your download metrics that when you were downloading said file, the data unit rate was MB/s or Mbps.

Just if it was MB/s then 36MB/s then you'd be looking at a speed just shy of 290Mbps.

It's also worth checking the write speeds of the drive that you are downloading these files to, just to make sure they can actually support the download rate you should be getting. 

Please also keep in mind that if your wired speed on Windows is poor, Windows throttles your connection speed in the background by default and Dell computers especially come with a "SmartByte" utility which is known to severely degrade network performance.

If you are only having issues with the Windows 10/11 PC capping the internet speed I personally have used www.speedguide.net/downloads.php TCPOptimiser to adjust the throttling level to disabled and improved my connection vastly.

(just make sure you have the adapter set to the wired ethernet one and the slider is cranked up to the absolute maximum and then apply)

Keep in mind, this is from my own personal findings and I noticed that the issue with my speed on my FTTP 900 connection over a wired connection was poor on windows only. I booted into Linux on identical hardware and the speed issue vanished. 

This might be the issue in your case but is certainly worth a look.