Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to 900Mbps from 500mbps - no speed increase

FIXED
JestersTear
Dabbler

Upgrade to 900Mbps from 500mbps - no speed increase

I upgraded from the 500Mbps FFTP to 900Mbps and it was completed a week ago. I'm still only getting 500MBPS speeds. Tried Ookla, the built in router speed test and Fireprobe.

I once hit 554Mbps but only once - all others are sub 500Mbps. Wired into Hub2 router on 1Gb NIC.

It says wait 10 days but surely I should be seeing some increase by now?

Account shows the 900Mbps product in place

19 REPLIES 19
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

Re: Upgrade to 900Mbps from 500mbps - no speed increase

It says wait 10 days but surely I should be seeing some increase by now?

There is no 10 day training on FTTP!

Account shows the 900Mbps product in place

and the fact that your speedtests show the upload speed is correct for the 900Mb product would seem to indicate that the product change has completed correctly.

I once hit 554Mbps but only once

again, that would tend to indicate the product is correct and that the speed is being limited by the local device

Are all your speedtests done from the same device ?

Do you have any firewall or vpn software active ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JestersTear
Dabbler

Thanks - all from same device with no Firewall or VPN.

Router firmware is dated 7th Sept if that makes any difference.

Will keep testing and monitor

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

What's the spec of the device used for the tests ? ( with the NIC make/model if possible )

We've seen some instances of the NIC drivers/software causing bottlenecks

TBH I dont use the PN hub but AFAIK the latest firmware should be v10....

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JestersTear
Dabbler

Dekstop still same.

Just tried it with my Dell E6540 laptop (1gb NIC) direct into router with Cat6 cable - 496mbps down and 108mbps up.

Something is wrong

JestersTear
Dabbler

Desktop is an Asus B550F ROG board with 1Gb NIC (Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (2) I225-V)

Laptop is Dell E6540 with 1Gb NIC (I217-LM)

Both are Windows 11 devices - 23H2

Anonymous
Not applicable

My first reaction to reading this topic, is whether the "Hub 2" firewall is capable of sustaining 900Mbps speeds ?

I have been building custom routers for about 15 years, and have experience with a variety of hardware, and the fact that a router has a 1Gbit Ethernet port doesn't mean that it supports a gigabit throughput, the usual limiting factor being the CPU or ASIC controlling the integrated firewall. 

As the "Hub 2" is a 'basic' consumer router, I question whether that is the bottleneck here ?

@JestersTear   are you able to unplug the ONT ethernet cable from the router, and instead plug it in to your Asus desktop I225-V network port.  Then configure the Asus network port to be PPPoE and add your Plusnet username and password.

Your Asus will now be directly to the internet, and should be able to run whatever speed tests at full speed, especially as I225-V should be capable of 2.5Gbps.

I might be wrong, but it is something you can try ?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

There are certainly some hits regarding poor performance of the ASUS and rthe I225-V although nothing concrete.

Can't find any problems on the DELL and I217 though.

Might be worth checking that you have the latest drivers (and firmware?)

I wouldnt expect the router to be a problem but you could elimate it by trying a PPPoE connection directly from one of the systems to the ONT.

NB if you do try that then dont leave it long as there will be no firewall

If all else fails , its POSSIBLE that there is capacity issues at your exchange...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Another observation, in the original post, looking at the BT "Basic Speed Test" result (see below in bottom right corner)

it says "If you are testing 500Mb/1000Mb product speeds please click here"

So that implies that the result shown maybe using a tester not capable of higher speeds ?

@JestersTear  What result do you get running the test following the "click here" link ?

BT Test - JestersTear.jpg

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Anonymous In my experience, the BT wholesale tester is a waste of space for high speed tests. The Ookla ( speedtest.net ) one, particularly the app rather than browser based, test is pretty consistent.

JestersTear
Dabbler

Just says :

Screenshot 2023-12-06 114059.jpg

JestersTear
Dabbler

Hmmm...weirdly I have just lost internet (Router light orange) and after a rest I am getting slightly better - 632Mbps

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,606

Fix

If it helps, I've run a speedtest and the tests are showing a download speed of 983mbps and an upload speed of 114mbps, so doesn't appear to be any issues with the Openreach of things, and no capacity issues either.

(edit) 

Apologies for the connection drop! That was likely me running the test. Embarrassed

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MisterW wrote:

@Anonymous In my experience, the BT wholesale tester is a waste of space for high speed tests

I agree, I only ever use that tester to reveal the BT "IP Profile" in the "Additional Diagnostics"

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gandalf  do you know what the maximum firewall throughput of the "Hub 2" is ?