cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrdae from fttp trial to Full Fibre 74

pmg
Grafter

Upgrdae from fttp trial to Full Fibre 74

I have spoken to Customer Services and gone ahead with an upgrade to Full Fibre 74. This is planned to take place on the 4th September. I have been assured that my landline with BT can be retained so i can get rid of it at my leisure, if i decide to.

I'm posting here so if anything needs to be done via the community you are aware of the change. Surprisingly, the person i spoke too seemed to be aware that i already had fttp so hopefully everything will go smoothly.

9 REPLIES 9
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Upgrdae from fttp trial to Full Fibre 74

@pmg 

I was a trial user myself before I upgraded earlier this year.

Due to the botches used to set up the FTTP the PN system thinks you're on FTTC and, at some point, needs a staff intervention to change something on your account. Although he's not on the support staff any more I'll tag @Gandalf as he can keep you right if he's got the time.

I'm not at all sure about your phone being kept live. Is PN your supplier or is it a third party? The change from FTTC to FTTP can cause cancellation of phone services due to the way the PN system works.

You should consider moving to a VOIP supplier ASAP after the upgrade happens. A&A have a good reputation and have successfully ported PN numbers before now.

https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/voip-information/

Brian

PS - the grey matter just kicked in. The change is purely a system change on PN - not certail why it's taking a week or so to get it done. My concern is an OR engineer has been booked to do a fresh install.

pmg
Grafter

Yeah, did have to explain that i didn't need a new router as i already had fibre provision that has been working fine. My landline is with BT not Plusnet. Will see if @Gandalf has anything to add.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

I was a PN FTTP trialist and my landline was is with BT.

When I moved from the trial to a retail FTTP product earlier this year I suspected my landline would remain intact, but sought reassurance which Gandalf provided.

As you can see from my opening sentence, I still have a BT landline, at least for the time being until I decide when and which VoIP company to port it to. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,606

Hi @pmg 

I've placed an order to regrade the service, which should complete the product change to Full Fibre 74 on Monday. The change could take anytime up to midnight. Let us know if there are any issues. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pmg
Grafter

Thanks @Gandalf 

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

@pmg 

The wizard does his magic!!

You say you don't need a new router - if you're using the Hub1 you can get a Hub2 for £6.99 p&p. It has better WiFi than the Hub1 plus it gives you a back up unit just in case.

Brian

pmg
Grafter

Indeed.

I not using the Hub1. After struggling with wifi range, i started using an Asus router, which has been great.

TobyDSC
Hooked

@pmg I have just moved from Plusnet FTTC to FTTP with an Asus router a couple of days ago and wrote this post on the subject which you might find helpful:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Configuring-Asus-RT-AX86u-Router-for-F...

pmg
Grafter

Upgrade gone through and all is working. Landline still available. So all is good. Thanks to all involved.

Only odd thing is that Ookla reports 74/20 whereas Google speed test reports 45-50/20 but i trust the Ookla reading so its probably ok.