cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi with Full Fibre

FIXED
sibella12

WiFi with Full Fibre

I currently have part fibre broadband with a landline. My Plusnet Hub One router is upstairs in the far corner of the house. Currently I have no issues reciving WiFi through out the rest of the house. As my mobile signal is next to useless I will rely on WiFi calling when I switch to full fibre. Is the WiFi from full fibre as reliable as my currently setup? 

10 REPLIES 10
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

Re: WiFi with Full Fibre

@sibella12 Plusnet will supply a Hub Two with Full Fibre. It's Wifi performance is better than the Hub One so there shouldn't be any problems. I would suggest that you check which Wifi channel your Hub One is using and if the Hub Two doesn't automatically selct the same chan nel , then you can manually change the channel.

Note that the Hub Two uses the same Wifi network name for both the 2.4 & 5Ghz bands and they cannot be separated.

It IS possible to continue to use the Hub One with Full Fibre although it has a limit on the upstream speed of 30Mb so its really not recommended for anything faster than the Full Fibre 145 product.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 281

If you move to FF (with PN) they will most likely offer you a Hub2 as part of the deal. Being newer, you would expect it to be as good as, if not better than the Hub1, and the delivery method (Full Fibre as opposed to FTTC) makes no difference to wireless performance - that is down to the hub/router.

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

@sibella12 

Is Full Fibre available to you? You can check using the following. You're looking for WBC FTTP in the left hand column and Available to the right. If it's available, there will be a narrative below the results window about FTTP - specifically if any install problems are expected. Do you currently have an overhead or under ground feed?

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

With FF a completely new cable is run to your house, terminating in a box outside called a Comsumer Splice Point (CSP). The fibre is then brought inside to an Optical Network Adapter (ONT). There is a certain leedway as to where the ONT goes but it does need to be near a power source.

Finally the router is connected by an ethernet cable so can go anywhere you're willing to run cable.

Brian

sibella12

Yes Full Fibre is available to me. My line comes from a pole immediately outside my house.  I was wondering how flexible are the engineers as to where they Install Full Fibre. My currently line enter the front of the house. I have a cable which runs around the side of the house to a back bedroom where my router is connected to my PC.  Is there a possibility they may connect to the back of the house? 

bmc
Hero

Fix

@sibella12 

Thanks.

To answer your original question you'll only know what your WiFi is like once you get the install done.

An o/h feed gives slightly more flexibility as the installer will be qualified and have the equipment to work at height. I should have asked as to where the Master Socket currently is.

As it's a completely new install you need to think about where the ONT could go if you want to change location from the current MS. So long as there's a power source near it becomes the art of the desirable against the possible. Most installers will work with you if it's possible.

Brian

bmc
Hero

@sibella12 

Just reread your post. It's possible an installer might be happy to run the fibre cable round the house and put the ONT in the bedroom but it's one of those where you wouldn't know until the day if install. Note the the fibre cable usually needs to come down to ground level for the CSP before entering the house.

If it needs to be at the front an alternative, once FTTP is installed, is to run an external ethernet cable from the ONT / router location round the outside of the house to the bedroom. Not the cheapest option to get somebody in to do it but if the router is downstairs then it provides a solid internet starting point at the router and the bedroom. It's also future proof as all that would be needed in the future is to change equipment at either end.

Brian

sibella12

Thank you, Brian for your thorough explanation.

Very much appreciated. 

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@sibella12 

"As my mobile signal is next to useless I will rely on WiFi calling when I switch to full fibre."

To clarify, are you saying that you do not currently use WiFi Calling, but will once you have Full Fibre installed?

Is there any reason that you do not currently use WiFi Calling if your mobile signal is so bad?

WiFi Calling uses very little of the broadband bandwidth, and will happily work on any ADSL, Fibre-to-the Cabinet or Full Fibre connection.

sibella12

Hi there,

I currently use WiFi calling for my calls. I was just making sure that a switch to Full Fibre would still allow me to continue.  I only use my landline for  incoming calls. 

bmc
Hero

@sibella12 

I assume you're aware you lose the landline when you move to Full Fibre.

You can keep your number by moving to VOIP immediately afterwards (you have 30 days).

Brian