Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fibre speed has dropped since the install earlier today

David3
Dabbler

fibre speed has dropped since the install earlier today

Hello

Today I have had my full fibre installed today,the engineer tested and the results  back as full speed 300Mbps down and 48Mbps up
Just got home and done a test myself using  the Speed test app on my phone via the wi-fi the result was 175 Mbps download and 48.3 Mbps upload

Is this due to the fibre connection settling down,I have signed for a 300Mb package,using Hub2 of course and not getting anywhere near the speeds when the engineer came earlier
Or is it a system fault
, I have tested the connection again  with my Lan cable into this computer and the speeds are fine very fast.
So the problem is with  the speed on Wi-fi of my phone,,I'm not that technically minded so bear with me

Appreciate the advice

8 REPLIES 8
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: fibre speed has dropped since the install earlier today

@David3 

"using  the Speed test app on my phone via the wi-fi"

Speed tests via WiFi are rarely reliable - you are testing your WiFi as much as the fibre service.

zpeterk
Grafter

If you want to test your speed do it with a wired connection to a computer, there are too many variables with wifi

David3
Dabbler

@Mr_Paul 

Hello thank you
 Yes I have just done that ,as per my post I was writing when you replied.I am getting excellent speed with my ethernet cable connected
 Thank you 

David3
Dabbler

@zpeterk 

Thank you

Yes I kinda guessed and was expecting something amazing.While connected to the wif fi on my phone
But I have tested via my ethernet cable connected  to this computer and the speeds are excellent

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 99

Hiya @David3

I would just tweak the wireless setting to help maximize the wireless connection. 

Guides can be found here; Getting the best WiFi (wireless) signal | Help | Plusnet

Let us know how you get on!! 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
David3
Dabbler

@SammyM 
 Hello
Thank you for this ,will have a look,although I am not technically minded.I have tested the speed with my Ethernet cable to this PC and I am getting very fast speeds as expected

I have a Samsung Galaxy A52S  5G phone and while its not old,I suspect the connectivity is not as good as the newer phones

Having tested using the Speedtest app,I am getting mixed results

Thanks again!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

@David3 i've noticed some very strange things with recent Android 13 & 14 based devices.

Using the speedtest app it maxes out at around 60Mb on both a Lenovo tablet and a fairly new Samung A15. This is on a 900Mb fibre connection! Using a laptop next to the phone gives around 400Mb (as expected) and an older phone running Android 12 gives around 150Mb.

Both the A15 and the tablet seem fast in normal use so I'm baffled as to why they are slow on speedtests. Yes, I know Android 13 & 14 have the capability of a 'throttling' setting for testing apps but I've checked and its set to off! Also checked that both are on 5ghz wifi.

Baffled...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

David3
Dabbler

@MisterW

Interesting points raised,thank you