cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline & Home Security Connections

tamahaac

Landline & Home Security Connections

Hello to all (being a new member to this community) So here's my first question: Does anyone know whether Plusnet are planning to provide existing customers with a full fiber optic router which will enable the continued use of landline phones in readiness for the switch-over from the old PSTN system (in August 2025)? As I was told a few months ago on renewing my f/optic broadband contract they were not sure on this. As I know some providers do: Vodafone for one provide a full fiber optic router with the option to connect a landline phone.  

7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Re: Landline & Home Security Connections

@tamahaac That 'few months' must have been quite a few - the Plusnet brand of BT Consumer Division was defined as a 'broadband only' provider over 12 moths ago. the closure of the PSTN network is now 'planned' for at the earliest,  sometime in 2027. If you change to Full Fibre, as opposed to FTTC, you will have to arrange your own VOIP phone service, as PN will not be providing it.

John
tamahaac

Firstly 'thanks' for your reply. It seems that the PSTN switch-off has now been moved forward to 31st Jan' 27?                        Yes it was in Aug' last year when I spoke to PN about all this. That's why I didn't change to full fiber at the time because of losing the landline & alarm system connection. At the time it seemed a bit tunnel visioned of PN not to be considering an alternative for existing b/band users, as comms wise not all areas of the UK have a reliable mobile service. Although some providers are offering VoIP or 'Digital Voice'. Overall there doesn't seem to be a lot of info' out there regarding the switch off, only maybe for businesses? Anyway thanks for your input. 

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

@tamahaac 

PSTN is going by the end of 2025 except in exceptional circumstances.

You need to ensure your alarm system is digital capable so that it works with who ever provides your VOIP service.

You can either stay with PN and use an independant VOIP provider or move to an ISP at the end of your contract who does both (you can go to BT at any time by phoning PN and asking them to arrange a transfer.

Like BT some ISP's use a router with a phone port for VOIP eg ZEN Internet.

The last thing to note is VOIP doesn't work during power cuts so you need some sort of backup.

Brian

tamahaac

Brian, thanks for your reply. Judging by what's on the internet BT have moved the 'switch off' date twice, from Aug' 25, to Dec' 25 now it's Jan' 27..?! This is going to be a real headache for some out there, if they now have to think about their VoIP options? Yes, as with all I.T. everything goes t*ts-up during a power cut..  

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

@tamahaac 

I had forgotten about BT Retail's attempt to confuse everybody.

They are moving all of their customers onto their digital voice service by region in advance of the PSTN switchoff - many people take this to mean the end of PSTN full stop.

It is for BT customers now in that they cannot move their landline to another provider due to the OR Stop / Sell on copper landlines.

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

and its not helped by the media's failure to distinguish between Openreach and BT(retail)

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Or the lack of clarity in some of the press releases, although that is not surprising given GPO Telephones, sorry, BT's business practices.

John