cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of land line

JohnHarper

Loss of land line

Please forgive if this has been raised before.

I currently have Plusnet FTTC and a BT land line, NOT with Plusnet. If I upgrade to Full Fibre 145 the Plusnet website says my land line will be disconnected. Can this be true, as the land line is nothing to do with Plusnet, and the person responsible for said landline doeas not want to lose it.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

John

2 REPLIES 2
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Loss of land line

@JohnHarper 

You're in the "in between" land where, in relative numbers, very few people exist. No one can say for certain as to what will happen if you upgrade as it happnes so seldom (publically anyway).

I believe you're offered an Option to "keep the current landline" when signing up to FTTP and, as it's BT supplied, this may work. However, if you're PN account is tied to this then the system might, just might, trigger a closure.

You could create an entirely new PN account for FTTP but you would have no e-mail or other add ons and be paying for two accounts. If the add ons don't matter once FTTP is up and running you should be able to cancel your FTTC account (with associated ETC's) without affecting the landllne. This is pure speculation.

You should phone PlusNet Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 and ask. Make sure they understand it's only an enquiry and then come back to the board with their response.

Brian

HPsauce
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Loss of land line

Hmmm. I had a BT landline and a separate contract with Plusnet for ADSL. I was able to CANCEL the Plusnet contract without losing the BT landline.

That said, this was part of a migration to FTTC and I decided it was the only safe route, so I ordered a completely separate FTTC line (also from PlusNet) and paid for installation etc. including a new master socket. Once FTTC was up and running I cancelled the ADSL service. I had (and still have) two separate PlusNet accounts, one now dormant.

In due course I also migrated the BT landline to VOIP but that may or may not be something you want to do.

Just to add that I was "out of contract" with both BT and PlusNet so I also didn't need to worry about any termination costs. You may need to consider that if you're thinking of something similar.