cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy line and terrible broadband (resumed)

FIXED
Jtate1
Dabbler

Noisy line and terrible broadband (resumed)

Hi, this resumes an earlier thread. Last week I had a problem with the router, and Plusnet sent an engineer. By the time he came I'd got the router working but wasn't able to contact Plusnet in time to cancel the appointment. But it seems Plusnet had also diagnosed a line problem. This wasn't clear to me, and the line problem was affecting the broadband - and still is. (I have hearing problems and prefer to use email/text.)

This morning I worked through the line diagnosis and tried to text Plusnet but that failed (see attachment) so I can only contact Plusnet through this forum.

It took 25 minutes to get this message through, and even then it wasn't posted. The Plusnet message is 'Correct the highlighted errors and try again'. There are no highlighted errors, but the small jpg attachment was removed.So I'm resending without the jpg, but it's terribly slow.

It's a real struggle to contact Plusnet!

John Tate

16 REPLIES 16
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Re: Noisy line and terrible broadband (resumed)

@Jtate1 If you have a line (voice circuit/cable issue), are PN aware of this and have they arranged an engineer to sort it?

Don't take this wrong, but how computer literate are you, so fellow Community members may know how to offer help?

John
Jtate1
Dabbler

Thanks, like I said it's not easy communicating with PN by phone if you can't hear well and if you have defective broadband, so I'm posting this on the Forum in the hopes it will be forwarded on to PN who will deal with it.

Jtate1
Dabbler

... and as I said I tried the text help option and it failed. I attached a jpeg of my mobile screen for that text but it was removed and I couldn't post it to the forum.

jab1
Legend

Hopefully, one of the Help Team will pick this up, but if you can follow simple instructions, I can post a guide which will enable other Community members to possibly assist. If you are on your own, then the phone 'noise' issue may be harder to solve, but do you have anyone to help?

John
Jtate1
Dabbler

Many thanks for your offer, but there's something wrong with the line and I've done everything suggested online by PN. My hearing is a problem so I don't use the phone. The PN text reporting fails every time and as the line is a problem I just have to hope the help team will pick this up and text/email me. Thanks again!

jab1
Legend

OK - one final suggestion if you don't want Community help. Try this link to report your issue: https://faults.plus.net 

John
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 111

Hey there @Jtate1 there does seem to be a fault but please can you send us a picture of your set up so we can rule all that out? It's not external at this point and just high resistance on the line.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
Jtate1
Dabbler

Thanks Will I can try but it will take several pictures, and when I sent a picture to the forum this morning it didn't get through, presumably because the line is so difficult. It can take 20 minutes for a page to load, so even small jpgs are a problem. & it worked perfectly well for nine years and there's been no change to the setup since it was first connected.

Jtate1
Dabbler

I'm on this forum just to get community help! PN now knows there's a problem, so thanks to the community. & thanks for the link, but I'm still waiting for the page to load. And I thnk that link leads to the text help, which has failed every time I've used it...

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 111

Take your time with it all @Jtate1 I just need to do it because we get slaps on the wrist if we haven't checked everything from your side.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
jab1
Legend

@Jtate1 wrote:And I thnk that link leads to the text help, which has failed every time I've used it...

It doesn't - it leads to the CRM links, which staff pick up - it is not automated.

John
Jtate1
Dabbler

Ah, thanks. But PN picked up on my problems and got in touch with me before I could use that webpage. Many thanks for your help.

John

Jtate1
Dabbler

Quite right too! Many thanks, and apologies for the delay, I'm slow getting around, and the broadband was about 2 yesterday. It's up to 4.5 again today, so I hope the jpgs will squeeze through -  I made them as small as I could. The cables are a mess but it's been like that for years and the problems are recent, so I don't think that's the cause. The cable to the main socket exits top left.

Thanks again

John

Jtate1
Dabbler

Hey there Will and thanks or looking into this. You asked me to you email two jpgs, which I did. I haven't heard back so I'm not sure if you got them. Did they give you any insight into the broadband problem/resistance I have?

As a reminder, on that day, and several other days around then the speed was around 2.1, there were frequent stoppages, and such delays that pages didn't load - like being on dial-up again. It's 4.2 this morning and has been around that over the past week. It's just about adequate - it's a copper line but only a five-minute walk to the exchange.

Thanks,

John.