cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do we have to pay for unanswered phone calls?

lizzyhoo

Re: Why do we have to pay for unanswered phone calls?

Hi,
I have just found that we are also being charged for calls to mobiles that are unanswered, the reason I know that is if I can't locate my pnone in the house or car I simply ring it to fins it, "I 'don't answer it" and ring off well before the auto answer cuts in.  . I have just discovered I have been charged 26p on every occasion for the luxury, I wish I had known that this was Plusnet policy, we never got charged by TALK TALK for the same process in 4 years. The information you post about OFcom not allowing call charges unless it is connected is particularly interesting as I cannot see TALK TALK missing an opportunity to charge 26p for every unanswered call to a mobile. I am a member of WHich? consumers association and intend to see what they say, also Money Saving Expert as it isn't cheap. I am disspointed PLUSNET you had been doing so well for us and our house move with BB went v smoothly.
The only reason I noticed was I was looking into why I was paying 33p to a number 123 Huh on 5 occasions between Dec and May, but I will post separately about that, and the only reason I noticed that was I paid £6.75 to call 118118 for 2 minutes for the first time in a very long time, well if that's how much it costs wow no wonder thaey need to advertise incesantly.

pennbank
Grafter

Quote from: lizzyhoo
Hi,
I have just found that we are also being charged for calls to mobiles that are unanswered, the reason I know that is if I can't locate my pnone in the house or car I simply ring it to fins it, "I 'don't answer it" and ring off well before the auto answer cuts in.  . I have just discovered I have been charged 26p on every occasion for the luxury, I wish I had known that this was Plusnet policy, we never got charged by TALK TALK for the same process in 4 years. The information you post about OFcom not allowing call charges unless it is connected is particularly interesting as I cannot see TALK TALK missing an opportunity to charge 26p for every unanswered call to a mobile. I am a member of WHich? consumers association and intend to see what they say, also Money Saving Expert as it isn't cheap. I am disspointed PLUSNET you had been doing so well for us and our house move with BB went v smoothly.
The only reason I noticed was I was looking into why I was paying 33p to a number 123 Huh on 5 occasions between Dec and May, but I will post separately about that, and the only reason I noticed that was I paid £6.75 to call 118118 for 2 minutes for the first time in a very long time, well if that's how much it costs wow no wonder thaey need to advertise incesantly.

Your not alone
Because of your post I checked my calls and noticed I got charged 0.10 for a 00.00min  call to my mobile to locate it back in May 18th at 00:38:50
Bit of a swiz really but not going to loose any sleep over it. But worth knowing that Plusnet charge for unanswered calls to Mobiles
dick:green Quote tags fixed.
ScottStorey
Pro
Fixes: 1

That sounds like a text message sent from the landline to be honest pennbank, rather than a call. They show as 0 minutes and as 10p on the itemised bill.
One of the guys will be able to double check that during the week for you though
MrT
Grafter

It would appear likely that call charging is triggered at the point where the call is forwarded by PN/BT to the Mobile network. Some clarity on this would be welcome.
It probably explains why my unanswered call lasting 1.63 seconds cost me 22p even though the relevant mobile phone did not answer or register a missed call.
Just a thought!  Undecided
picbits
Rising Star

I've just called my own mobile and left it to ring for a few rings to see if it registers on my bill.
Will update after a day or so to give it some time to filter through .....
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I tried an unanswered call to my mobile at 11:15pm last night. The mobile registered it as a missed call but it hasn't (so far) appeared on my home phone recent calls list; calls from earlier in the day are listed.
David
picbits
Rising Star

Same here - it's been nearly 3 hours now and nothing on my itemised bill as yet.
MrT
Grafter

Maybe it's different when BT call forwarding comes in to play!?
pennbank
Grafter

Quote from: Scott
That sounds like a text message sent from the landline to be honest pennbank, rather than a call. They show as 0 minutes and as 10p on the itemised bill.
One of the guys will be able to double check that during the week for you though

Ah did not think of that one, may be I was testing it as I did set the thing up for that
As I said No worries, but hey  thanks plusnet for mentioning it.
Regards.
picbits
Rising Star

Well my unanswered mobile call hasn't appeared on the bill and more worryingly neither has a call I made to my parents last night. Until that appears I'll hold judgement on if I've been charged for unanswered mobile calls.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

The calls don't appear until Plusnet receive a (daily?) update from BTW.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
pennbank
Grafter

Quote from: Scott

Just checked the mobile and indeed it was a  text message as I had just set the SMS up and was checking I had put in the correct  service centre numbers for the thing to work.
With apologies  It would appear that Plusnet do not charge for unanswered calls to mobile numbers unless they get answered.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: spraxyt
I tried an unanswered call to my mobile at 11:15pm (06/09/2013). The mobile registered it as a missed call but it hasn't (so far) appeared on my home phone recent calls list…

Subsequent (answered) calls to the same mobile number have appeared with an appropriate charge but the unanswered one hasn't. So in my case unanswered calls do not appear to be charged.
David
picbits
Rising Star

As above - my call log has been updated and I can confirm that to Virgin Mobile, unanswered calls aren't charged by Plusnet.
Does the original poster have some kind of call diversion in place ?
MrT
Grafter

Quote from: picbits
Does the original poster have some kind of call diversion in place ?

See my Reply #13 for the answer