Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Withdrawl of IPv6 Technical Trial

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Withdrawl of IPv6 Technical Trial

Quote from: nanotm
it did when I used to be a BT customer in the trial area, the isp servers just assigned a 6 address and the router did the rest

That's interesting - I wasn't aware they'd done that. Do you recall how long ago it was? Presumably before Plusnet did theirs by the sounds of it? I'd always assumed Plusnet was the guinea pigs for this sort of thing!
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

um I got my billion in jan 09 and moved from that house in oct 10, and it was the ipv6 connection bar that told me it was up and running on the home page but I couldn't tell you when it started or ended.
in fact I probably shouldn't of told anyone it happened, then again I've never been a telecoms employee....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Just seen this:
[quote="telecompaper"]
UK lags in readiness for IPv6 - study
Friday 20 September 2013 | 17:29 CET | News
The UK's slow in preparing for IPv6 could threaten UK-based organisations' ability to compete globally, particularly in vital fast-growing economies, according to research from Logicalis and the University of Southampton. In addition, it puts at risk strategies in mobility and emerging trends such as the Internet of Things (IoT). The UK currently stands in 16th place in Europe and 27th worldwide in an IPv6 readiness league table compiled by Logicalis based on data gathered by Cisco.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

not even remotely true though is it,
BT doesn't support native ipv6 but it has been providing 6over4 support since 6 first appeared,
the story should of been about why the uk is unable to provide native end to end support on its ageing infrastructure that is incompatible with the newer system, or how 99% of routers would be unable to work in an ipv6+ipv4 end to end support setup, and about how much it would cost to implement the changes required to be capable of getting that support
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
MJN
Pro

Quote from: nanotm
not even remotely true though is it,

Of course it is. UoS are at the forefront of IPv6 development in the UK and know more about the subject than you or I could ever dream of.
BT doesn't support native ipv6 but it has been providing 6over4 support since 6 first appeared,

You might be getting confused here - 6over4 doesn't mean what you probably think it does. As far as I am aware BT don't support 6over4; indeed hardly any network does given the lack of widespread IPv4 multicast. It matters little though - as a transition technique it's not all that important.
the story should of been [...]

If the research didn't satisfy your particular needs commision your own. The research presented here is perfectly valid and can only help spotlight the situation that UK plc is in.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: P
I'd like to think we can do it before the UK reached 1% adoption
... ... ...
It's coming. A traditional Plusnet acronym for this is RSN - Real Soon Now.

The Google graph of IPv6 adoption has exceeded 2% !
NATIVE IPv6 has reached 2.10%.

I couldn't wait any longer for native IPv6  Angry
I have just got the Hurricane Electric 6in4 tunnel working on my DrayTek router !    Cool
The IPv6 readiness testers now show that my connection is fully IPv6 capable  Kiss
Initial speed tester results look better than expected over the tunnel, with only a 2 or 3% loss in throughput.  Smiley
I have just setup an additional TBB ping graph to monitor my IPv6 connection, so once the graph fills up with latency readings, it will be interesting to see the difference between native IPv4 and tunneled IPv6 latency on the same connection.
I am amazed that my existing network hardware just works with IPv6 as if nothing has changed.  Shocked
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

The HE London server is pretty close by to the PN gateways, so throughput doesn't really suffer too much.
Here's my IPv6 TBB ping graph using the TG582n:

That's RPM to you!!
ScottStorey
Pro

I'm also running through HE and never noticed an issue with throughput changing. I never set up a TBB graph...might have to do that later today.
Purleigh, the graph you linked is for worldwide adoption. The UK is currently at 0.17% according to googles figures - http://www.google.com/ipv6/statistics.html#tab=per-country-ipv6-adoption
Anonymous
Not applicable

@'Scott Storey' - I appreciate your point about the UK at 0.17%,  but shouldn't we all be at least be trying to keep up with the worldwide average adoption figure (2.1%), after all it is the World Wide Web.  If anything we should be competing with our nearest network neighbours USA(4.39%), Germany(4.73%), and France(5.05%).
With the exponential worldwide adoption graph, it shows that with the accelerating uptake of IPv6 might increase by 50% by the end of the year.
With a rapid increase in demand and the potential for technical problems, wouldn't it be better for Plusnet to roll out native IPv6 NOW, so that the few early adopters can debug any issues while numbers are small ?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

What's so great about IPV6 anyway?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MJN
Pro

The future of the Internet.
Seriously, IPv4 is creaking at the seams by virtue of us very nearly having run out of globally unique IPv4 addresses. IPv6, with its vastly bigger address space, will allow the Internet to continue its exponential expansion for a good while yet.
There are some 'techy' benefits too but in isolation they're not ground breaking (much of the heralded benefits were so useful they got back ported to IPv4). As usage increases however we will inevitably start to see capabilities that were not realisable with IPv4.
pwatson
Rising Star

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
What's so great about IPV6 anyway?

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: purleigh
I have just setup an additional TBB ping graph to monitor my IPv6 connection, so once the graph fills up with latency readings, it will be interesting to see the difference between native IPv4 and tunneled IPv6 latency on the same connection.

For anyone interested in the effect on latency over a 6in4 tunnel on 20CN ADSL -
The TBB ping graph for my tunneled IPv6 connection has now been running for a full day, and is showing the IPv6 latency at my ADSL gateway WAN interface (i.e. NOT routed to a tunnel endpoint on the LAN side of the router).
My signature field below now has live TBB graphs for both my IPv4 ADSL connection, and the IPv6 6in4 tunnel.
I'm quite impressed that minimum latency for the IPv6 tunnel is barely any different from the native IPv4 connection.
The average latency only increases when the ADSL connection is heavily used, and the maximum latency is a bit 'hairy' but still not bad.
Currently these graphs are showing the connections without any upstream QoS.
I know my IPv4 TBB graph can look a lot quieter when upstream QoS for ping acks is active,
but next I want to find out whether it is possible to raise the priority of 'protocol 41' in the router's QoS settings.  Huh
Anonymous
Not applicable

Because IPv6 just works seamlessly, I was getting a little frustrated knowing whether the websites I was browsing to were IPv6 or not.
I found a nice little Firefox add-on called "4or6", that puts an icon onto the Firefox toolbar displaying 4 or 6, depending on the IP version.
Hovering over this icon causes a drop-down box to appear showing the connection details.
Simple and effective !  Wink