Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being charged for calls on free evening and weekend calls package

FIXED
pete82
Hooked

Being charged for calls on free evening and weekend calls package

Hi

I changed to the plus.net free evening and weekend calls package on 6 June.  I received an email stating

"We're just emailing to confirm the details of your new broadband and phone package.
Your new package will be active on: 7th June 2024."

However I recently received a warning email that I'm approaching the bill limit I set on my account.  Looking at my last bill, I've continued to be charged for calls to UK landlines and mobiles (07) numbers between 7 June and 25 June, which is after the call package was meant told be live.  Also, on my bill, it shows evening and weekend calls active from 27/06/24 - 26/07/24 (not 7 June).

Does this mean there was a 20 day delay in activating the package?  Would it be possible to review my account to check the evening and weekend call package is now live?  Also, if it was only activated on the 27 June, could I be refunded for the evening and weekend calls to UK landlines and UK mobiles please that were made during the period I was told the package would be live?  I would have made the calls from my mobile free minutes (or on WhatsApp) if I had known the landline package activation was delayed by 20 days, so I wouldn't have been charged for them otherwise (assuming I was provided with an incorrect phone activation date in the email).

Thanks

Peter

11 REPLIES 11
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Re: Being charged for calls on free evening and weekend calls package

@pete82 Something does not seem right, there. These changes (to phone packages) only take effect from your next billing date - or at least they always have done in the past - so unless something has changed, and I doubt it has, that email was erroneous.

John
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 17

@pete82 wrote:

"We're just emailing to confirm the details of your new broadband and phone package.

Did you just add the calls package, or did you sign up for a new broadband package too?

I wonder whether the "package" they say will go live on 7th June is just the broadband part?

However, it seems perfectly reasonable to assume it is the whole package and that calls would be inclusive from the 7th, so keep going for a refund of the charges!

jab1
Legend

@corringham The first line of post #1 says: 'I changed to the plus.net free evening and weekend calls package on 6 June.' My reading of this is that the OP merely changed the calling package  only - and as I said previously, these monthly changeable options take effect from the start of the next months billing cycle.

John
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 17

@jab1 wrote:

@corringham The first line of post #1 says: 'I changed to the plus.net free evening and weekend calls package on 6 June.' My reading of this is that the OP merely changed the calling package  only - and as I said previously, these monthly changeable options take effect from the start of the next months billing cycle.

Yes, I agree the calling package changes take place from the next billing date. However the confirmation clearly states:

Which states broadband and phone package, and a active date of 7th June. That doesn't match changing just the calls package.

pete82
Hooked

I've had Plus net broadband since 2020. I used to have the anytime phone call package as part of the Fibre package.  On 27 April, my 24 month contract was coming to an end, so I changed onto the Unlimited Fibre Extra discounted offer package, without any calls - I wasn't using the phone that much before, so I thought it might be cheaper.

After a month, I realised I was being charged quite a bit more for calls and worked out my main use was at evenings and weekends. On 6 June I opened up my account and selected to add the evening and weekend calls to the existing package.  

I then got an email a few seconds later, saying:

Subject: Confirmation of your package change

Hello Peter,

Account username: (xxxxxxx)

We're just emailing to confirm the details of your new broadband and phone package.

Your new package will be active on: 7th June 2024.

Your new package

Broadband Unlimited Fibre Extra £30.06
Line rental Monthly £28.63
Call plan Evening & Weekend UK & Mobile Calls £7.05
Call features Caller Display, Voicemail, Plusnet Call Protect £0.00
Contract You're in month 2 of your 18 month contract

The email was wrong, nothing happened on 7 June. Also it fails to mention I'm on a discounted promotional package so some of the package pricing looks wrong, though that hasn't actually changed to what the email says, fortunately.   The email should have said something along the lines of " thank you for changing your phone package, it will be active on the next billing date" then giving me the real date.  Or no email at all would have been better, as at least then I would have looked it up on the help guide and saw it wouldn't go live until the next billing date, rather than thinking it would take effect from  7 June.  

It only works out as about £10 of refund that I think I'm due as I'm a low phone user.  However, it's very misleading to get an incorrect email following a change. Some customers who maybe spend a lot on their phones, could lose out on quite a bit of money if they think their phone package is active due to incorrect information being sent out by the system!

jab1
Legend

@pete82 I agree that email is misleadingly wrong, on a number counts.

@MisterW - something the SU's could suggest needs amending?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

@jab1 we could, but I suspect it wouldn't be given any priority since phone packages are declining.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Good point - just thought it worth mentioning, was all. 😉

John
csmith94
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 31

Fix

Hi @pete82, you can PM me your username and I'll have a look at the call charges for you and see what's going off. 

Curtis Smith
 Plusnet Help Team
pete82
Hooked

thanks Curtis, PM sent

pete82
Hooked

Thanks a lot @csmith94 for refunding me for the call charges, and also for your help @jab1 

Pete