cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping account active after i move

RichardL1

Keeping account active after i move

Hi I will be moving soon and the place I am going to already has internet access.

Can I keep the account active without it linked to a phone line, so I can keep receiving my @xxxx.plus.com emails? I'm happy to keep paying the same rate. I just wont have a phone line at the new location. 

7 REPLIES 7
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Keeping account active after i move

@RichardL1 You can't have an active account without a phone line. So your account will close and your emails will be lost. Plusnet used to have email only accounts but these have been discontinued. You need a new email platform to move all required emails away from Plusnet.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 17

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

@RichardL1 You can't have an active account without a phone line. So your account will close and your emails will be lost.

When I moved house last, there was a gap between leaving the old address and getting access to the new address - Plusnet let me keep the account open, so it certainly was possible to have an account without a phone line.  Originally the gap was expected to be just 6 weeks but it turned into a few months. 

It may be that things have changed, as Plusnet are no longer able to provide lots of things they used to be able to. However, I'd phone and ask.

However, Plusnet e-mail won't be around for ever, so now might be a good time to move provider anyway - could be cheaper too.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

That was because you were moving home, the OP won't be transferring their account to a new address at all.
Even with a pause for house moves I believe it is time limited.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 17

@dvorak wrote:
That was because you were moving home, the OP won't be transferring their account to a new address at all.

Yes, but it shows the system is able to deal with an account without an active phone line associated with it.

So the reason it isn't possible is purely Plusnet's choice of policy, and not anything technical.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

It’s a bodge to get it to keep the account alive iirc - one which isn’t viable long term.
Coping and working as designed aren’t necessarily the same Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi @RichardL1 

If you are happy to pay the same rate, why not request PN house moves to install a new second line at the new place?

If the new house has a Openreach line, make sure PN do not try to take over the existing service.

If the new house has an Alt Net service or Virgin Media, then it is not possible for PN to take over those services.

Regards

Richard

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,606

@corringham wrote:

@dvorak wrote:

Yes, but it shows the system is able to deal with an account without an active phone line associated with it.

So the reason it isn't possible is purely Plusnet's choice of policy, and not anything technical.

Only if there’s a house move in progress. Doesn’t look like the OP is wanting us to provide a service though.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet