cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving House and leaving Plusnet mid contract. Will I have to pay exit fees ?

bazzer9
Grafter

Moving House and leaving Plusnet mid contract. Will I have to pay exit fees ?

I shall soon be moving house to a new build apartment that has FTTP installed by Openreach. At present I'm midway  through a 24 month contract with Plusnet for Unlimited  Fibre including rental (FTTC broadband ) and Unlimited landline calls to UK and mobile numbers. Although Plusnet can offer me FTTP at my new home I would have to forgo my landline calls package and give up my phone number as they do not offer VoIP.

In other words Plusnet cannot continue to satisfy my present contract or offer the services I'm used to having.

If I go to an alternative ISP who can offer FTTC broadband and VoIP, would Plusnet  charge me early exit fees ?

10 REPLIES 10
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Moving House and leaving Plusnet mid contract. Will I have to pay exit fees ?

Plusnet could offer to move you to BT/EE with no termination charges.

However going elsewhere is your choice, so you should expect early termination charges.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 17

Re: Moving House and leaving Plusnet mid contract. Will I have to pay exit fees ?

Plusnet would charge early termination fees for the broadband/line-rental (assuming you don't get them to move you to BT), but the calls package is a monthly contract so you wouldn't be charged ETCs for that part of the bill.

Personally I think it is unethical to enforce a one-sided contract when the supplier can't provide the contracted service - any move with Plusnet will lose your landline whether you move to FTTP or not so they can't offer the contracted product.

I can't provide you with it either, but at least I won't try to charge you for it!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

@corringham wrote:

Personally I think it is unethical to enforce a one-sided contract when the supplier can't provide the contracted service - 

The contract is to supply a service to the person living at a specific property,  it is not to the person wherever they choose.to live.  

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

corringham
Seasoned Champion

@Baldrick1 wrote:

The contract is to supply a service to the person living at a specific property,  it is not to the person wherever they choose.to live.  

That is how Plusnet treat it - it is not the way some other ISPs treat it. I have moved properties several times (and so have family members) and when an ISP can't provide a service at the new address they have not charged ETCs. Except for Plusnet - and the last time I moved a Plusnet account it was far cheaper to pay the ETCs to cancel at the old address and then sign up as a new customer at the new address (in the same phone call) - which shows how much Plusnet exploit existing customers.

It is also unfair as not everyone chooses to move - tenants often have short tenancies or have to move without wanting to.

When you only have a short lease and can only choose a long contract with an unsympathetic ISP it is not good to have to pay ETCs when you are forced to move.

bazzer9
Grafter

Thank you corringham for your moral support.

It's not as if I'm emigrating or moving to the back of beyond. I'm only moving 7 miles in Berkshire and clearly Plusnet don't really want to support landline or VoIP phones anymore.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

@bazzer9 wrote
:..Plusnet don't really want to support landline or VoIP phones anymore.

You are quite correct. Plusnet no longer offer any sort of landline phone service to new customers. They will only contimue to support current users providing there are no service changes. This will end when the local PSTN service is shut down, some time before the end of 2025.

You can of course use a third party VoIP supplier. This however could cause difficulties if you wish to take your current phone number with you. You will find plenty of information regarding this option on the Tech help board.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Batfrog
Aspiring Pro

Given that PSTN won't close on all exchanges on the same date towards the end of 2025 and given that my local exchange is a 'Priority Fibre' exchange does anyone know if there is a published list of PSTN closure dates for individual exchanges and where it might be found.

corringham
Seasoned Champion

The best list I'm aware of is OpenReach Stop Sell, but that doesn't give final PSTN closure dates. I expect the date for each exchange will depend on the progress of migrating customers to VoIP in that exchange.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Everything Else to My Account / Billing

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

@bazzer9 

Just a thought.

Are you moving within the same dialling code area? Unless things have changed, with PSTN (I know it's EOL for Openreach) you'll lose your current phone number and would be allocated a new number for that dialling code area.

You could keep your number if you were to go VOIP with someone else.