cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOGEA

plustrev
Grafter

SOGEA

I have about 3 months left on my contract, if I ask to be changed to SOGEA will it start a new contract or just for the remaining 3 months.

Also if I wait  until the contract expires and do not renew (ie pay the full price) can I move to SOGEA immediately.

The reason is that I want my landline to be changed to voip and I know plusnet do not provide that.

Thanks 

14 REPLIES 14
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: SOGEA

@plustrev 

You can change to SOGEA at any time, but it does cost a new contract.

You would go onto non contract prices if you do not renew with PN or transfer to another ISP.

If you transfer you would automatically go onto a SOGEA connection. If they do not offer VOIP then you have 30 days to port your number, though it's best to do it asap.

Brian

plustrev
Grafter

Thanks for reply.

I wish to keep my landline number so is my best course of action to let my contract expire and when it does go onto SOGEA and port my number to a new provider.I realise this will mean I will pay the inflated prices for a month or two.

Another option is what happens to my number if I cease plusnet entirely and go onto an alt provider, is my number still portable.

Sorry for the questions but thanks.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

if I cease plusnet entirely and go onto an alt provider, is my number still portable.

As @bmc said earlier , its available to port for up to 30 days after its ceased.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mystreet1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Other on here have changed over to broadband only, when new service confirmed. Actioned a port in via A&A (https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/number-porting/port-numbers/) who are very good at porting in ceased numbers. But as mentioned make sure that it is within 30 days of your changeover. Mine took 5 days from initial request to completion
Was a member for years, but moved from PN fttc to fttp from an AltNet. Getting 940Mb up and down. Happy to stay on here and try to help others. 
IMM
Rising Star

@mystreet1 said "Mine took 5 days from initial request to completion"

Just a heads up that when I changed from Plusnet FTTC to Plusnet FTTP and then asked A&A to port my phone number over to them, it took 29 days, during which time the number was not available.

Ian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@IMM when was that ?

Was it some time ago i.e last year ?

What reason did A & A give for the delay ?

Last year, most of the suppliers hadn't really got their heads around the Ofcom requirement for porting ceased numbers. They seem now to have sorted their procedures for this, and its now straightforward.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

IMM
Rising Star

@MisterW  I ordered the port on 21st May this year. 

Some updates said waiting for the Range holder to respond.

one said "I am still chasing the escalation of this, it looks like the number has been ported to another LCP so it is not actually with BT, we are waiting for the rejection to be confirmed, once this has been done we can resubmit with correct LCP." -

Not really sure what that means.

That was followed by "This is chased every other day, the Range Holder which is BT in this instance are being very slow with updating anything, we are still waiting the formal rejection, I have just escalated it again."

The port was completed on 18/06/2024

Ian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@IMM ok, so that's well after everyone should have got their act together on porting ceased numbers!

Did you give Plusnet or BT as the losing CP for the port ?

Although AFAIK it shouldn't matter since Plusnet/EE & BT operate under the same CP ID...

IMM
Rising Star

@MisterW I think that when I filled in the online port request, I put "BT (Plusnet)" as the current provider.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Hmmm! , you would think they could cope with that!.

I do know that when I ported a number around 3 yrs ago I put just Plusnet as the CP.  It was an active number at the time though...

bmc
Hero

@plustrev wrote:

Thanks for reply.

I wish to keep my landline number so is my best course of action to let my contract expire and when it does go onto SOGEA and port my number to a new provider.I realise this will mean I will pay the inflated prices for a month or two.

Another option is what happens to my number if I cease plusnet entirely and go onto an alt provider, is my number still portable.

Sorry for the questions but thanks.

If you plan to stay with PN then there is no real reason to wait - unless the new contract is more expensive. You'll save yourself paying out of contract prices.

If you plan to change ISP then wait until the last month of your PN contract and then initiate the move. You might pay a few days of ETC's.

Either way, sort out which VOIP provider you want to move to so when you do switch you can "port" asap after you go to SOGEA.

Brian

plustrev
Grafter

Thanks to everyone. I intend to go with A&A for VOIP and Lightspeed for the FTTP.

With all the advice given I will wait until the last month of my contract or just after and then cease my account and port my number.

I can of course get the lightspeed installed before that so I have a working broadband.

mystreet1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Get lightspeed in and working near your contract end.
Once happy, port your number to A&A. They will complete the port which ceases your PN line. Do not contact PN, it will confuse the porting.
Was a member for years, but moved from PN fttc to fttp from an AltNet. Getting 940Mb up and down. Happy to stay on here and try to help others. 
bmc
Hero

@plustrev 

If it matters, leaving PN will cost you your PN email addresses.

Brian