Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well that upgrade didn't go so well

isdoo
Dabbler

Well that upgrade didn't go so well

Had the fibre extra at £26.17pm

Following advice here and from talking to Plusnet I set up a new account for full fibre at £38.99 for the 500mbps

Now I need to cancel the old service. Thought it would be simple and at the most would need to give the 50 odd days notice left on the contract.

I was then told that I will have downtime on the full fibre! It was all wrongly setup on their end. I can't just cancel the copper account. No idea why I couldn't.

Just don't understand why the new fibre account could not stay live and the old fibre extra account cancelled. Really doesn't make sense. Nothing has to happen here.

I would be charged exit fees on both the 500mbps full fibre service and the Fibre Extra accounts!  The exit fee on the fibre extra was more than the 2 months costs that I have to go - thought the exit fee would be less, not more than the monthly cost. No idea on the exit fee on the 500mbps one. Why would there be one?!

However if I took out the 900mbps service I would avoid all these costs. Had little choice. She could then take all the exit fees away!

So my only option is to upgrade to 900mbps at an extra £9 per month and then we can cancel both the old broadband and the new full fibre! So the 900mbps is now £47.99 She would then make the penalty on both contracts go away.

It was initially £55 but she was able to offer me a special reduction to £47.99 - the upgrade in my members area was £48.99 - so a whole pound offered due to the mistake.

Apparently was the mistake of a plusnet employee. 

So I end up with a 900mbps which will cost me an additional £216 over 24 months (plus further increases)

Less a months free service, less a £75 gift card.

So hopefully I am not too much out of pocket. But it shouldn't have been required, surely.

Lovely lady at Plusnet - but this is all a big mistake. Didn't have a lot of choice apparently. I would have had a lot of costs. 

To be honest even the 500mbps was plenty fast enough - never going to need 900mbps!!

I suspect that 200mbps would be fine. 

Stil do not understand why I have to be out of pocket?!

Not 100% happy - but such is life.

Would have thought that of Plusnet handled it incorrectly they should be out of pocket and not me.

I am hoping that the new account (the one with the 500mbps fibre on) will be closed and any monies paid extra refunded.

Also hope that I will get the free month of 900mbps etc.

Or have I been mislead? I hope not.

What was interesting was that I didn't have to pass any security.

11 REPLIES 11
Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

Re: Well that upgrade didn't go so well

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to My Account/Billing

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@isdoo I am surprised that neither a staff or community member has responded to your post as it seems like a very odd sequence of events.

If you opened a new account for FTTP (Full Fibre) that should be completely separate from your existing FTTC  (Fibre Extra) account so why would cancelling this account have any effect on the new FTTP account?

How has the new account been set up to cause this situation? It really doesn't make sense. So both accounts have to be cancelled and early cancellation fees applied, to both accounts, that is just completely wrong and unfair, it was Plusnet's error that has caused this mess, why should you be penalised for their error.

Now this is totally unbelievable, if you take a new 900Mbps Full Fibre service all the cancellation fees would be removed, did the "lovely lady" give any explanation of why this action would make the extra charges go away? I think there is something very fishy here. it smells bad.

You have also been offered discounts to persuade you to agree to this unacceptable situation.

In your own words ... "Would have thought that of Plusnet handled it incorrectly they should be out of pocket and not me."

I totally agree with you, I tend to pickup on threads where Plusnet have totally screwed things up and hope that the staff will sort it out.

There may be a chance of help available, @Gandalf. I know you are no longer on the Community/Social Media team but this problem needs looking at. Also @bobpullen can you offer any support. The OP has  been treated in a totally unacceptable manner and it needs to be corrected.

If you get no useful response I suggest raising an official complain using this link

https://www.plus.net/help/legal/complaints-code-of-practice/?_ga=2.40482465.2037324020.1670789602-18... 

Let's hope some common sense prevails and Plusnet realise it is their error that has caused this problem.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

@RealAleMadrid I totally agree something has gone pear-shaped here. Even given Plusnets strange way of working, it sounds totally wrong and needs a senior individual to sort it - if I was the OP, I'd be kicking seven bells out of PN, and certainly wouldn't accept the situation which appears to have arisen.

Sorry I missed it earlier.

John
isdoo
Dabbler

I agree.

Things do not seem right.

She blamed another employee who she hinted would be retrained or disciplined.

I did query more than once about why she can't just cease the old line.

I even asked if I stopped paying that bill then I am sure that they could cut it off.

The problem is you can't email them and everything needs to be done via a call.

I am not always good with calls.

She said that she was going for a break in one minute and couldn't email me the offer to solve the problem.

I didn't want to spend another hour or so with another agent to solve the problem that Plus net had apparently created.

I felt pressured, but also didn't want to keep paying for a line that had zero use.

I also never got a reply as to why the cancellation fee on the old line was greater than the monthly fee. Again didn't make sense.

Why was there a fee on the new one?

This is due to cut over this week, but the 500mbps line doesn't cease until the 20th meaning I pay for that line for an extra week further adding to my costs.

I am definitely loosing out here.

I went for a higher speed than required in the first place. Do not need 900mbps as I rarely download.

Most of my traffic is browsing websites with the odd video clip on YouTube.

We coped with 45 mbps for many years. But the service was so erratic that I was pleased to move.

Now not so much.
jab1
Legend

@isdoo Hopefully after our comments, an experienced Help Team staffer will come along and review the calls. It certainly looks as though something is wrong here based on what you have said.

John
isdoo
Dabbler

I do hope I didn't state anything incorrectly.

I do not think I did.

I felt pressured - but also can't afford downtime on the full fibre. To have this down a few even an hour or two is bad - but for a day or so it would have been awful.

Thanks all for your input.

jab1
Legend

I'm not saying you said anything wrong, rather that the agent was at fault.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

@RealAleMadrid 

I do not think that there is anything useful a community member can offer here ... which is why the post was probably left for a staff member to pick up (on the next full working day).  I certainly left it alone as there is nothing a non-staff member can offer here - beyond (on the face value of the OP) something has gone seriously wrong.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,606

@isdoo, Having a look into this, ideally the existing fibre extra account should've been upgraded rather than creating a new account. I believe the workaround suggested around here is if you're wanting to keep your landline number.

I've listened to your call and I'm really sorry for how things have been handled. Sad

I've arranged for one of my colleagues to call you back to put things right, which I hope helps. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
isdoo
Dabbler

@Gandalf  many thanks.

Hopefully we can resolve this and move on. 

The old line is now terminated and hopefully the new 500mb one will continue.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,606

No problem, and apologies again for how we've handled things.

I believe James has sorted this out for you so your 500mbps full fibre account will remain active.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet