cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract Renewal Offer Query

soft360lap1

Contract Renewal Offer Query

I have had an offer to renew my contract for 25.99 for 18 months. However, when I go through the renewal steps the summary page shows that my subscription increases to 54.39 per month after 18 months.

This cannot be correct as I have a separate contract with BT for line rental and calls so is it possible to just renew my broadband contract with Plusnet? Thank you.

renew1.jpgrenew2.jpgrenew3.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
markhawkin
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 14

Re: Contract Renewal Offer Query

@soft360lap1 

There are a few things here.

1) You must have an old contract with Plusnet as I don't believe you can have landline with BT and broadband with Plusnet as a new contract.

2) Doing anything to progress an order with Plusnet will probably cease your landline (I assume you want your phone number)

3) Doing anything with BT will probably mean they have to supply your broadband (and phone using digital voice).

Think very carefully before doing anything!

I am the satisfied customer....
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

@soft360lap1 

So long as you're not upgrading your product PN will renew you on your existing service.

The high price at the end is the Out of Contract price that you pay if you don't renew your contract or move ISP in 18 months time.

However, there is another matter you need to consider. OpenREach are withdrawing the PSTN by the end of 2025. BT will required you to move to a VOIP service at some point for your phone and I don't believe they offer VOIP only.

Is your phone line / number important to you? If so, you need to start looking at VOIP so you know what's what when the time comes. PlusNet can / will move you onto a product called SOGEA which allows FTTC but no phone at some point. At this stage I think your phone line will go.

There are many providers of VOIP only. Other PN customers have mentioned A&A who seem to offer a good deal. See

https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/voip-information/

Brian

soft360lap1

Thanks for the replies Brian & Mark...

Yes, I have been with Plusnet (Force9) since the dial-up and ADSL days so it has been a long time. The price has gone up a bit but in all those years there has been very lttle downtime.

I do want to keep my number for now but as you say I will have to make a decision soon on what to do next. Thanks for the A&A link - they do get a lot of positive feedback for having very knowledgeable staff.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

@soft360lap1 

I've not heard of anyone porting in your circumstances. Here's some things to think about when the time comes.

Choose your VOIP provider in advance and, if they let you, set up your account before you start the move.

Speak to PN, BT and your VOIP provide to confirm what needs to be done.

If transferring your PN internet onto SOGEA ceases your landline (even though it's with BT) you have 30 days to port the number but do it asap.

Do not start the port until PN have confirmed your transfer onto SOGEA. If you do it before then your PN internet could be cancelled due to no landline. You would lose your id, e-mails and any referrels.

If the port fails due to no active landline (its been ceased) then your VOIP provider's Support desk need to speak to BT Support to get a manual port done. This happens, as providers use automated systems which usually need an active line to work.

Hope this helps.

Brian