Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Home will Router just work ?

FIXED
John_1927
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Moving Home will Router just work ?

We are moving home and taking our Plusnet account with us. On Unlimited Fibre at present  will the router just work with the same user name and password ? 

36 REPLIES 36
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Re: Moving Home will Router just work ?

In a word - yes.

John
John_1927
Dabbler

Thank you. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

@John_1927 wrote:

On Unlimited Fibre at present  will the router just work with the same user name and password ? 

If you are staying on the same product, then indeed the answer is "Yes!".

If you are upgrading to FTTP, then it depends on which router you have got - it might well work but not deliver optimal performance.

For example early FTTC installations were facilitated with a BT Openreach modem and a Hub Zero router.  That will indeed work plugged into a FTTP ONT but it will not deliver performance with one of the higher speed FTTP products, as its WAN connection is limited to 100mbps.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 23

Just to make sure, you have arranged with Plusnet for your connect to be moved to your new address?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

John_1927
Dabbler

Yes all sorted.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 23

Great. I didn’t want to assume. It wouldn’t be the first time that someone had assumed that they could just plug in their router elsewhere!

John_1927
Dabbler

So I'm in the new house and find the phone points are RJ11 - this is a new eco house - and the box of cables I have are not right !

jab1
Legend

What phone Master Socket is installed?

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

Something is not ringing true here.  The router cable connection is RJ11 for the xDSL interface.

Key questions asked have not been answered...

• Which router?
  • Is there a BT modem involved here?

If the answer to the latter is "Yes", then the router will have been connected using an ethernet cable, with the BT modem connecting to the phone socket direct (using a RJ11 cable) or via a dangly filter plugged into the phone socket.

Depending on which router it is, the BT modem might be dispensable.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

@John_1927 

I also find it hard to believe RJ11 sockets have been fitted around the house I would expect RJ45

For reference looking at a Modem/Router the DSL socket is RJ11 and a LAN socket is RJ45

jab1
Legend

@John_1927 A photo of these connection points may help?

John
John_1927
Dabbler

Got to go into the loft and take a look where the BT line comes in as its overhead cables. Phone or Broadband have never been used in the house as yet. The house builder ( non UK ) are responsible for the sockets and Openreach came in some time ago to connect up. I will report back later. Today is Plusnet connection day.

jab1
Legend

I would find it strange if the master socket was installed in the loft - it is not a location I would expect OpenReach to choose?

John
John_1927
Dabbler

Sorry - I think it is RJ45 socket ( two of them in the house ) The cable that fits in the back of the router and into the filters works on the socket. House has never had broadband in use yet. This is and Eco kit house with lots of kit - but not online.