Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ordered FTTP to new home - present occupier already has FTTC

wivenhoe6
Grafter

Ordered FTTP to new home - present occupier already has FTTC

Hi all,

I will be moving to my new home next week & have ordered FTTP (Openreach) via Plusnet.

The present occupier already has a connection with an alternative provider. It's not FTTP so I believe it's FTTC.

My order has gone through but it's likely that the present occupier will end their contract & cease the line before the engineer is scheduled to visit.

Do I need to do anything?

Also, the guide mentions a double socket is needed for the FTTP install. Does this need to be on an external wall or would the party wall be suitable if it's very close? I.e. a corner of the room installation.

Thanks very much!   Smiley

12 REPLIES 12
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 281

Re: Ordered FTTP to new home - present occupier already has FTTC

@wivenhoe6 If the current service is FTTC - with whoever, the current occupiers actions will (or certainly should not) have any effect on your order, the two technologies are totally separate.

The double socket mentioned is an electrical one, and the 'need' is a little incorrect - the Hub can be positioned wherever you wish, so long as you have an Ethernet cable long enough to connect the ONT and Hub.

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

@wivenhoe6 

OpenReach will install a completely new connection via fibre optic cable. There will be a box on the external wall called a Consumer Splice Point (CSP) and an internal box called an Optical Netwrok Terminator (ONT - see link). The ONT needs power.

https://support.aa.net.uk/Openreach_FTTP_ONT

As already stated the router can go where ever you want as it's connected by ethernet cable. It too needs power. So, if in the same location two power sockets or an adapter is required.

There is a bit of leeway as to where the ONT goes - it may not have to be in the same location as the current Master Socket. As you need to be present for the install the engineer should discuss with you the options (if you want to change location).

Brian

wivenhoe6
Grafter

Thank you both very much. It's reassuring to know that our order should go through anyway. Phew!

With regards to the ONT, does it have to be on an external wall or could it be put on the adjoining wall where the double sockets are? There isn't an electrical socket on the external wall.

Thanks again.
jab1
Legend

Not that it really matters, but is the new home fed by overhead or underground cable?Whichever, the ONT needs to be on an external wall as it is fed from a very short cable from the CSP (Customer Splice Point) which is on the outside of the outside wall, if that makes sense.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

I believe the engineer will route fibre, to the ONT, internally up to around 10m from where the external CSP is located. They will only clip it to surface e.g skirting boards unless you have trunking pre-installed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Thanks for the correction, @MisterW . Bet you need a supply of coffee/tea and nice biscuits to persuade some of them, though. 🤣

John
bmc
Hero

@wivenhoe6 

When I had FTTP installed in late 2017 I had the ONT located on a back internel wall. The engineer stapled the fibre cable to the skirting board (see picture). To be honest if I knew then what I know now I might have left it on the external wall and sorted out power and ethernet afterwards.

FC1.jpg

If you are happy with the fibre cable coming in beside the current Master Socket you could pre-install ducting to where you want the ONT. However, you should be aware that until the day of install you never know for certain where the ONT will be - it's the art of the possible against the desirable.

There is the possibility of running the fibre cable externally so it comes in at a point closer to your desired location. If you buy, but do not install ducting you should have time to put in place while the engineer preps for the install.

Finally you should give some consideration about running ethernet cable around the house - TV, PC and gaming are things that could go on ethernet. Also, running a cable upstairs gives a good starting point for WiFi. With WiFi, you never know for sure about coverage until you've got the connection up and running.

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

Bet you need a supply of coffee/tea and nice biscuits to persuade some of them, though

Most definitely

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

wivenhoe6
Grafter

That's great, thank you all very much. Sounds like it should all be fine!
wivenhoe6
Grafter

@bmc
Thanks very much for the information & photo, very helpful. With regards to your statement below, I'm just wondering what you know now that would affect where you'd place it?

'To be honest if I knew then what I know now I might have left it on the external wall and sorted out power and ethernet afterwards.'

Thanks
bmc
Hero

@wivenhoe6 

The fibre comes in beside the Master Socket which is behind my TV and PVR's. My PC, which didn't have WiFi (and still doesn't) is in the back room so I decided to put the ONT on an internal wall beside spare power sockets and run ethernet cable through a wall, up and over doors and then round the skirting board to the PC.

In hindsite I could have left the ONT beside the Master Socket (though there might have been a space issue - I have an old style 4 port ONT with and external power backup) and then run ethernet to where the router is.

I think I could also have had the fibre run externally under the front window and brought in at the corner of the house. More space and easier access to the power supply.

Do let us know how your install goes.

Brian

wivenhoe6
Grafter

Thank you, I will update you all once the installation is complete.