cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Placed Order a month ago no update on engineer arrival.

BooshNugget114

Placed Order a month ago no update on engineer arrival.

I'm very very frustrated with the service I'm receiving (or lack of). Over a month ago I rang up to say I would be moving home, when I'd like the internet to be set up in the new home and when the internet needs to stop in the old home.

I took on the offer to upgrade to full fibre at the new property, and the date given for an engineer to arrive to set up the internet in the new place was 2nd November. Since then I've been told that there are 'supplier delays' with NO information on an ETA on when we can expect the internet to be set up?!

We both work from home so this is very concerning. I've repeatedly asked for more information and each time I'm told 'We'll review the situation in a weeks time' a week comes around and I receive the same email!!

Can someone PLEASE inform me what is going on and when I'll expect an engineer to turn up?!

7 REPLIES 7
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 223

Re: Placed Order a month ago no update on engineer arrival.

Hi there, I'm really sorry for the delays in getting your new connection up and running and for the poor communication.

Some full fibre installations need some work external to the property to be done before an appointment for the installation can be arranged, that's what we're waiting on at the moment and we've been promised an update on 3/11/22. 

I'm sorry this means it's taking a lot longer than we'd hope and I'll make sure we keep you updated.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
BooshNugget114

Hi Adam,

Thanks for getting back. However I’ve been told that the external work is happening on the 2nd and that NO internal work/appointment is needed?

Now I’m very confused. What exactly is happening? Is there only external work needed? Is this happening on the 2nd or this not?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

If there is external work required, then it would seem HIGHLY UNLIKELY that no internal work is required for a FTTP.

You referred to a NEW HOUSE - is that new to you or a new build?  Is it single dwelling or a building of multiple occupancy (for example an apartment block)?

FTTP installation is a three-phase activity...

1. Local area fiber blowing to cabinet, pole or duct CTBs
  2. Individual property fibre blowing from CBT to the OUTSIDE of the property
  3. Inside fibre installation to the ONT

See What’s Involved in an Openreach FTTP Full-Fibre Broadband Installation? | Increase Broadband Speed

If this is a new build apartment block, it is just possible that the building contractor had already installed the internal fibres and ONT.  If not, I am surprised that you have been advised that no internal installation is required - that would infer that the property already has an ONT installed.

...on the other hand, if this were FTTC and there is already a COPPER circuit into the property, then indeed an internal work appointment would most probably not be required.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BooshNugget114

The property is new to me, not a new house or new build. It’s a semi detached house, not a flat.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

Does the property already have a FTTP ONT?

If yes, then that would suggest that the required external works are to repair the primary fibre back bone (to the CTBs) or the per property drop fibre (either overhead or underground) to the external fibre joint box.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BooshNugget114

Can you explain what an FTTP ONT is? Plus how I find this out in terms of the new property?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

It's short for Optical Network Terminal. It's the fibre equivalent of the master socket, and a similar size. Unlike a master socket though, it needs power and must be within 1m of a mains socket

https://help.shellenergy.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/360020989717-What-is-an-ONT-Optical-Network-Termina...