cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet full fibre cannot be connected for 30 working days

Cashew28

Plusnet full fibre cannot be connected for 30 working days

Hi all,

New to this community so sorry if I have made the post at the wrong location.

I am out of contract at Sky and the area has only recently received full fibre. So far it was only FTTC. I live in a building with multiple flats. I am guessing, I am the first person to make an order for full fibre in our building.

I received the following message from Plusnet-

Our suppliers have made us aware that the MDU has no fibre in it as of yet meaning Full Fibre cannot be connected to you quite yet.
They say that it will take 30 working days to build the external network for this.

I was calling to not only make you aware of this but to also say we could look at moving you on to a different type of fibre that is slower but we can get you on right away without waiting around for this.

Please give us a call and let us know what you wish to do so you aren't without services for so long.

I have the following queries-

1) If I move to Plusnet FTTC deals with 65mbps, will I still get full fibre after 30 working days as they want to cancel the full fibre order to move to this deal? Will they honour the current deal for full fibre if I proceed with this option?

2)  Should I just stick to Sky and then Plusnet will make the move on my behalf with Sky cancellation and full fibre installation?

3) Generally, how long does it take to get the full fibre instllation in MDU(Multi Dwelling Units)?

4) Is it possible, that I may not get full fibre from Openreach even after 30 working days time is over?

7 REPLIES 7
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 17

Re: Plusnet full fibre cannot be connected for 30 working days

@Cashew28 wrote:

1) If I move to Plusnet FTTC deals with 65mbps, will I still get full fibre after 30 working days as they want to cancel the full fibre order to move to this deal? Will they honour the current deal for full fibre if I proceed with this option?

You would need to check with Plusnet - but get the response in writing. My feeling is that the current deal may well not be available later.

2)  Should I just stick to Sky and then Plusnet will make the move on my behalf with Sky cancellation and full fibre installation?

That should work - but you could be paying out of contract prices for some time

3) Generally, how long does it take to get the full fibre instllation in MDU(Multi Dwelling Units)?

It can take anything from days to years. MDUs are notoriously tricky, as they have to get wayleave from the landlord, and then have a way to get the fibre to the individual units. Every case will be different.

4) Is it possible, that I may not get full fibre from Openreach even after 30 working days time is over?

In a word, yes.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

@Cashew28 

You speak about deals with 65mbps but not costs.

I suspect 65mbps is the avarage speed you might expect with FTTC. With FTTP there is no distance limitation so you tend to get very near full speed. The slowest PN speed is FF78 so you could expect arond 75mbps.

If you move to PN on FTTC (which is what I supect PN are offering) then 65 should be the average number you can expect. You can then upgrade to Full fibre when it's available at the cost of a new contract at whatever price is going at that time.

I assume you know you'll lose your phone line if you move to PN.

Brian

Cashew28

@bmc Hi Brian,

Thanks for your response. Yes, it is a 45-65Mbps FTTC line at £24.99 that Plus Net are offering. I have already made an order of 300Mbps at £27.99 of Full fibre, which they are saying will take 30 working days to setup. I am not sure if this will be setup based on @corringham response or how long it takes.

I am on Sky at £33.50 going up to £40 by 21 July at 61 Mbps.

Okay with losing the phoneline as I don't need it as I don't have a phone. Its just an active cable as Sky broadband didn't come without a phone line at the time. It is Pay as you go.

Cashew28

Thanks @corringham for your response.

If I just stick it out with Sky for the next 30 days and take the hit with out of contract prices, will I have the option of moving out of Plus net Full fibre deal if the full fibre is not installed, considering, the full fibre is not installed.  It will be outside the 14 day cooling off period at that point.

Appreciate any responses.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

Moderator's note:
Thread moved from Full Fibre to My Order 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 17

I doubt Plusnet could enforce your contract if they couldn't supply FTTP - although I imagine they could try to extend the timescale.

If I were you I would speak to them and get an agreement - in writing - that you can cancel without penalty if FTTP is not installed and working within some stated period of your choosing.

Problems could occur if some work has been done (like a trench dug) but FTTP not actually installed and working within the time limit - so make sure that case is covered in an written agreement.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

@Cashew28

If you're happy moving to PN anyway I would take the FTTC offer up so you don't pay Sky out of contract prices when the time comes.

You could phone the PlusNet Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 to see what they say. Just remember if you commit to PN I believe they would hold to the the FTTC contract as it costs them money to set up. Anyway, if you move then your Sky account will presumable be closed.

Brian