cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any new routers instead of BT Business Smart Hub 6?

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 14

Re: Any new routers instead of BT Business Smart Hub 6?

Your data sent through the VPN is going via someone else’s system. Someone unknown had access to your information, that doesn’t sound very safe. Unless you have a VPN link to your place of work or you’ve created a server to server link then you are probably less secure than not using one…..

Empire
Grafter

Hi Champnet, Hell i never thought about that,

Re-Your data sent through the VPN is going via someone else’s system. -- Do you mean our data/details are going via the VPN server/system? 

what is a server to server link? 

I shall have to rethink things, maybe put Antivirus back, but i noticed most. tried to get one to purchase a VPN as well, Avira AVG AVAST Comodo so figured it must be safe if big Antivirus companies provide it (for a fee)

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 14

The object of a VPN is to create a private and secure network link between two devices. Originally between two servers that permanently or frequently remotely connect to each other. The servers can appear to be on adjacent private local networks. The data passed between the two is secured, the sending end encrypts, the receiving end decrypts. This setup can also be used to securely connect a remote PC, or similar, to a works system. Both setups are end to end connections.

Using a public VPN works slightly differently. Using the VPN client your device connects to a third party server which then sends the information on. The benefit is that the end system, I.E your Bank, sees the VPN server as the originator not the sending device or it's location.The downside is that the VPN server and it's owners can examine and could store your information and transaction details.