cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bridge Mode and Unifi Express

jackduk
Hooked

Bridge Mode and Unifi Express

So the title says it all - but I can't for the life of me get my UE to connect to the WAN port on my Hub2 in Bridge Mode. 

Normal set up is Hub2, connected to Netgear pro-safe 24 switch, three LAN ports connect to ubiquity access points in a mesh network, the rest to LAN sockets around the house for TV's etc.

Want to use my UE for Unifi controller function, and additional WiFi 6 AP on my mesh network. 

I connect the UE WAN port to the WAN port on Hub2, and put the Hub2 in bridge mode. I disconnected the LAN port cable on the Hub2 and connected it to the LAN port on the UE. 

Turned on the UE, got to the set-up page on my PC, and that's about as far as I got. The set-up page couldn't detect the internet. Assume the UE isn't using credentials, so tried PPPoE on UE instead, and used my PN credentials (left MAC override and VLAN unticked) but it still won't connect. 

Do I need to ask PNET to allow my device to act as router? Also had to factory reset my Hub2 to get back to normal set up when the UE setup seemed to assign itself to the same IP as my Hub2. 

Another night spent trying to crack this - should it be that difficult!? 

3 REPLIES 3
Baldrick1
Fixes: 428

Re: Bridge Mode and Unifi Express

@jackduk 

The WAN port on a Hub 2 is an input, not the modem output. You need the UE in PPPoE mode, no VLAN setting. Put the Hub 2 in Bridge mode (pink light), connect the UE WAN port to one of the Hub 2 LAN ports.and enter your Plusnet credentials in the UE

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jackduk
Hooked

Oh, that's confusing. Wan to wan made sense in my brain but I don't think I tried adding credentials using the LAN port on the Hub 2 but I'll give it a try when the fam are out of town again and all hell doesn't break loose when the WiFi is off.
What would you ever need to connect to the wan port out of curiosity ?
Baldrick1
Fixes: 428

@jackduk 

If you have full fibre then you do not need the modem section of the hub. The full fibre service is therefore connected from the full fibre ONT to the Hub 2 WAN input socket.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'